• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Piper Tri Pacer Build - WE Technical Service Plans

TonyHallo

150cc
Ran into an old acquaintance last week that is helping dispose of some modeling equipment and supplies. I bought my mill off him two years ago, he still working to clean out the space. He offered me a few work benches, I had a look at them today and have decided to take them at a very reasonable price. I will be picking them up in a few weeks. One is 7' x 32" with a cork top, put down the plan and some wax paper and pin away. At any rate with more space I can start a new build.
I decided this one will be the Tri Pacer from WE Technical Service Plans. The plans were designed by Bill Effinger in 1989 so the design is dated by today's standards. In 1989, the firewall standard published by the IMAA was 1/2" thick plywood mounting a rather lazy Quadra 35, today we mount a 100 cc High power twin on a lighten 1/4" plywood firewall. I will make a few changes to save weight and balsa wood, As example the wing main spars are 3/4" x 3/8",and there is front and back!
I found the cowl and wheel pants at a swap meet several years ago, I bought the plans and a laser cut short kit from WE Technical Services shortly there after. The cowl and wheel pants came from Fiberglass Masters if anyone remembers their blue colored layups. The cowl weights 2 pounds so I plan to mold it and make a lighter version.
Once I came home today from looking the benches over I decided to start the gluing! Let's see I have the Champ wings to paint, the Super Cub fuselage to paint, the Cherokee to mold and I'm starting a new build? Time running out and I got to get these built!
At any rate I joined the fuselage sides and the two main formers today. The plans show music wire landing gear, I plan to make a more scale design, lathe and mill work! The full scale uses bungees inside the fuselage for spring action.

IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3165.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok you have to much time on your hands. I am struggling to build one plane and just cannot seem to get it done. I have been at it almost a year now and hopefully it will be done in about a month.
As mentioned before you are a building machine. Anyway I will be following with enthusiasm, thanks for doing another thread.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
My friend owned a tripacer, managed to eat a valve and still fly home. Yup that’s a piece of valve stuck in the piston. He rebuilt the engine and has since sold the plane. Anyways, thought you’d enjoy this pic
IMG_0339.jpeg

TonyHallo

150cc
Ordered a flash drive from the Short Wing Piper organization containing 450 drawings of the various models of short wings, PA 20 and 22. Plan to get the fuselage bathtub built and then make the landing gear. The nose wheel looks interesting. I have a set of wheel pants however they look too large. The wheel in the photo is a 5" Sullivan, the correct size for 1/3 scale.
I do like wheel pants, they seem to give a plane a finished look.

IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG
IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I like your enthusiasm for wheel pats but they just don’t seem to like me. I start out all in, install the wheel pants looks good. But then after a few flights they crack or some how get damaged, or worse break just enough so they rotate around the wheel, that’s ok it still lands ok. But after that they are off the plane never to be seen again. Wheel pants can be a lot of work.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I like your enthusiasm for wheel pats but they just don’t seem to like me. I start out all in, install the wheel pants looks good. But then after a few flights they crack or some how get damaged, or worse break just enough so they rotate around the wheel, that’s ok it still lands ok. But after that they are off the plane never to be seen again. Wheel pants can be a lot of work.
I concur. Most of the time I don’t even bother to put them on. Usually I go up a size or two on wheels cause I mostly fly off grass so most of the time the wheel pants wont work anyway. But they do look good.