• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh how sweet it is. Lookie what I got. Parts...yay. The Edge will be real close tonight.

20170419_171527.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well that's one panel nearly completed, just need to match the servos and bolt the linkages in place. Still waiting for the glue to dry tonight on the control horns otherwise I would have finished it.

17917257_10213636949424969_5463962276153479008_o.jpg

The 2nd panel is almost done, just need to glue control horns in and setup linkages.

What are the chances that me and @stangflyer would be working on PRC Edge's at the same time... :banana-dance:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I didn't get to the servo arms tonight on the Edge as planned. Some much needed items arrived today so I figured I would get some other things knocked out of the way.

Throttle servo installed
20170419_220128.jpg

Wiring is now complete. Just need to tidy things up after I am done in the interior of the fuse.
20170419_220148.jpg
20170419_220159.jpg

I also mounted the TDRC multiplex aileron plugs in the side of the fuse for quicker and cleaner connections.
14926616901871104915246.jpg
14926617485738321940.jpg

That's going to have to do it for tonight fellas. 4 a.m. comes way too early for this old guy. Will get more done tomorrow.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@stangflyer are you using heat shrink to seal the ends of the snake skin.
I was just about to ask the same question on how he ends his snakeskin.
Do have second question the fuel tank connections the gold colour ones have the right angle connection. Have you ever had one of the ends come lose on the fitting.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have never tried it for that one reason, to soft.
I tried it once it made a mess. And the thickness was all over the place, even with a new set of blades. And that was on General machine which is one of the best. I guess the only way is on a big sanding machine and they are expensive.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
@stangflyer are you using heat shrink to seal the ends of the snake skin.
It is heat shrink tubing. It is about the nicest way I know of in terminating the ends on the snake skin. I have discovered that if you use just a little heat from your heat gun to shrink the tubing it does real nice job. But also does not damage the fuel tubing or any wires.

I was just about to ask the same question on how he ends his snakeskin.
Do have second question the fuel tank connections the gold colour ones have the right angle connection. Have you ever had one of the ends come lose on the fitting.
The fuel fittings are double Barbed fittings. I have yet to have any come loose. It seems the 1/8 inch fuel tubing is a very good fit for the double Barbed fuel fittings. I have also found that if I have to replace a tube for whatever reason or do a replumb, I usually have to split the side of the tygon fuel tubing in order to get it off because it is so tight on the fittings.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Printed out a protractor and cut a hole exactly where the output shaft needs to go dead nuts on the center of the protractor, this should help dial in my servo throws :)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Tonight I got control horns on the 2nd wing panel on the Pilot Edge glued in place and set the linkages up on the first wing.

20170420_192711.jpg

It can be a bit of a challenge getting both servos to be perfectly synced with each other but I wound up with about 45 degrees of throw in each direction and both servos perfectly centered to each other. I'm getting roughly 45 degrees of control surface movement up and down.

20170420_192738.jpg

Took a little bit of trial and error but I wound up with the inboard linkage in the middle horn position and the outboard linkage in the outside horn position. I just love how buttery smooth these servos move, and how linear they are. I should post a video so you guys can see.

20170420_183801.jpg

This is how I get the servos dial'd into each other.

Glue should cure up on the other wing panel over night so I can get that panel wrapped up tomorrow :)