• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
bc43d563a8bda84a4c1d959aa5553f68.jpg

Slick getting some new gear legs after I noticed one leg sagging a bit a few flights after a hard landing...
Also got a carbon spinner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
More fun toys showed up today. Oh goody.
Secraft canopy locks for the Edge.
20170420_221625.jpg

Instrument panel from B&E for the Edge.
20170420_221635.jpg

Bad ass custom color coordinated 3W decals for the Pitts.
20170420_221651.jpg

I was only able to get the servo arms on the elevators and rudder installed and dialed in. Another plus of having a previous 100cc Pilot Edge programmed in your radio. Basically bolt and go.
20170420_221729.jpg

Very minor tuning was necessary to get them dialed in. As we all know, no two servos are identical. Also, since the first Edge sported Hitec HS 7954's and this one 7955's there was a slight variation. But once final max throw and final tuning is complete it should be better than the first Edge.

I've decided to not use the GP pilot bust I ordered as it is not the exact correct size I was looking for. Also, I received an email today that G-Force will be gearing up to start production on the new version of G-Force pilots in two weeks. As you all may remember, I wanted a G-Force pilot for the Pitts and held off getting one till they started up again. Well now I can order a custom color coordinated pilot bust for the new Pilot Edge as well.

Tomorrow is aileron and throttle servo setup day. After that, I will bolt the gear back on and probably test run the 111. A little tidy up work yet to do, bolt the cowl on, balance, double check radio programming....blast off!!!

Who's excited for the maiden??? Umm..."ME"!!!!! LOL

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Doesn't look like they have M4 washers/canopy locks, guess I'll have to search elsewhere.

I did spend a small fortune at McMaster Carr today, canopy washer will have to wait for another time :eek::laughing:

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Friday night, single and where am I? Well playing with my planes of course. Lol. I managed to get the throttle servo setup and ready to go on the new Pilot Edge. I did however discover a problem with the Hitec 7955's that didn't please me at all. Hooked up to 7.4 volts they chatter really bad. A quick call to Hitec RCD and I was told the HS 7954 and HS 7955 are "not" sister servos as I was informed multiple times. The 55's have different circuitry and a different drive motor. Hence, I was informed no matter what I do, as long as the 55's are run HV, they will continue to flutter, chatter, vibrate. Options? Run 6.6 volt. Nnnnope! That ain't happening. Out with the 55's and brand new 7954's will be here Wednesday to replace them. So though the Edge is real close, the final install and maiden is pushed back a week. Sorry everyone. I feel bad that I myself informed a few people the 55's and 7954's were the same except for the gear train. I guess I passed along incorrect information.

On the brighter side of things, I got more toys today. One for the Pitts. The other for the H9 Sukhoi.

20170421_215134.jpg
20170421_215146.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Friday night, single and where am I? Well playing with my planes of course. Lol. I managed to get the throttle servo setup and ready to go on the new Pilot Edge. I did however discover a problem with the Hitec 7955's that didn't please me at all. Hooked up to 7.4 volts they chatter really bad. A quick call to Hitec RCD and I was told the HS 7954 and HS 7955 are "not" sister servos as I was informed multiple times. The 55's have different circuitry and a different drive motor. Hence, I was informed no matter what I do, as long as the 55's are run HV, they will continue to flutter, chatter, vibrate. Options? Run 6.6 volt. Nnnnope! That ain't happening. Out with the 55's and brand new 7954's will be here Wednesday to replace them. So though the Edge is real close, the final install and maiden is pushed back a week. Sorry everyone. I feel bad that I myself informed a few people the 55's and 7954's were the same except for the gear train. I guess I passed along incorrect information.

On the brighter side of things, I got more toys today. One for the Pitts. The other for the H9 Sukhoi.

View attachment 95269 View attachment 95270

Nice P&W R985! I've replaced several of those engines on the DHC-2 and quite a few jugs. Remember to index that 90deg to the right so the eagle is at the bottom :In_love: