• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing RC Extra 330SC 50-60CC

SnowDog

I finished cutting the cowl and installed the wings and elevators last night. First power up of radio with all components connected!

Cutting a cowl is a very tedious process for me. :( Took me a couple hours going very slow and measuring and fitting multiple times.

These pics do not show the pitts muffler, which I installed and made cuts for after taking these pics.

Installing the cowl with the pitts muffler attached is a real PITA...is it okay to cut the exhaust pipes down a bit? I had to do some reallgymnastics to get the cowl to go over the pitts muffler exhaust tips. In fact, the only way I could do it was to attach the cowl with the muffler not bolted down, and then bolt down the pitts muffler once the cowl was installed. I cut two small access holes in the side of the cowl to make this work.

Anyone got any better ideas? It was late last night, but I still don't have a better plan. With some cowls you can twist them, but when there is a cowl ring attached, that limits the flexibility of the cowl for twisting it on around the pitts muffler.

20140815_001621.jpg 20140815_001609.jpg

I plan to fire up the motor for the first time today during my lunch hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
uploadfromtaptalk1408174905072.jpgok all mods are done.... tray in place to hold power board and rx.. I'm thinking the batts will go in front of the tube.. but we will see

TimP

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Bruceman - keep us posted on the flight. If you get some air photos send them our way and we'll post them on facebook

SnowDog

SnowDog reporting in....! :flyer:

Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to maiden my RedwingRC 89" Extra powered by the amazing GP-61 engine spinning a 24x9 Xion Carbon Fiber prop.
The engine fired up without a hitch, no adjustments were needed. Low idle was very good, transition was without hesitation, and top end was excellent.
No numbers, this is just going by feel and sound. I'll get the "hard data" later ;)

After takeoff, two clicks of elevator and one click of aileron put the plane in level hands off flight. After flying a few laps around the field to get the feel of the plane, I could tell I was really going to like this plane.
However, my first attempts to perform a roll were met with very poor response, which I felt was odd, since my rates were set fairly aggressively. A few more attempts at rolls told me something was wrong, so I brought the plane around and landed it...no sense taking chances!
After landing, which was smooth...plane glides like...well...a glider...:), the ailerons were examined and it was discovered that the left aileron servo arm screw was hanging on by two threads! The servo arm was not operational, the gears on the arm were not even in contact with the servo gear splines! Having found the obvious problem and checking both ailerons, it was confirmed that one aileron servo had loctite applied and one did not...so loctite to the rescue and it was time for another flight.

The second flight went much better...rolls were as expected, loops and even inverted flight was straight and level. Checking CG showed the plane needed just a touch of down elevator to keep the nose up while on the inverted 45* upline...perfect.
(I did not even check the CG before flight...another oops...but it worked out okay this time. :) )

My 3D flying mentor John Alexander was there helping me and I asked him to put the plane through it's paces and he was glad to have the opportunity. He tested hovers, harriers, rolling harriers, rolling circles, and many other maneuvers. He was very pleased with the way the plane flew and I was awed with his ability to fly some really impressive 3D stuff. He really liked the plane, and the engine and the prop. His comment was that "wow, that GP-61 really turns that 24x9 with authority."

I took the sticks back and did some more maneuvers and really didn't want to stop, but it was time. Setting up on final, the plane glided in smoothly for a landing and was taxied back to the pits with thunderous applause from the gallery of spectators. Ok, ok, let's just say that all the guys at the field were very impressed with the plane :)

Need to tweak the throttle curve so there is more of a steady range of throttle which will make hovers easier...one click up or down from hover speed changes the throttle too much. Also, we noticed a small amount (very small) of coupling to the gear in knife edge flight. This might be resolved by slightly changing the CG, or it can be mixed out.

All in all, this plane was a pleasure to fly, attracted significant positive comments from club members, flies really light, and is perfectly paired with the GP-61.

I will get an all up weight soon, but again, it feels really light.

I have no extras in the plane whatsoever.

RedwingRC has a real winner here...I can't wait to get more time on the sticks!!!

:ecstatic::flyer:

Oh, and we definitely need some pics...I will work on video next weekend.

IMG-2014-08-16-01.JPG IMG-2014-08-16-03.JPG
IMG-2014-08-16-02.JPG IMG-2014-08-16-04.JPG
IMG-2014-08-16-06.JPG IMG-2014-08-16-05.JPG
IMG-2014-08-16-07.JPG IMG-2014-08-16-08.JPG
IMG-2014-08-16-09.JPG

Looking forward to bringing this beauty to the Kennett 3DBASH in early September!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Nice report and pictures:thumbup::thumbup:

Yep I think she needs a little bing bling in the graphics dept. Does the offer still stand? [MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION]

gyro

GSN Contributor
congrats, and great story/photos! Glad you love it :D

and that smile you had while flying it... yeah, me too.