• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing RC 76" MXS-R

Drew

70cc twin V2
Ok, back to the build......

Got all the hinging done minus the rudder. I will do the rudder last after engine and most equipment is fully installed. Without a rudder on the plane, makes it easier to flip the fuse around for the install.

All hinging is finally done. I ran into a few issues with the wings. Upon epoxying in the aileron to the wing, I found the aileron to have a bad bow or warp in it. I went ahead and installed it anyway since epoxy was already on and left it to dry. Once dry, as soon as i deflected the aileron the 2 outer hinges pulled out. Ive ran across this a few times and have an easy fix. I simply get the smallest drill bit I have and drill a straight hole right under the hinge. Then i flow CA into the hole and kick it with accelerator. You do this with the aileron fully deflected. Works like a champ. Only issue is now you have a large hinge gap on the furthest parts of the aileron and a clean hinge line in the center. Here are a few pics...you can see right under the servo where the hinge gap is right, rest is gaped. This wont hurt anything in flight, I'm sure we wont even notice it.

SAM_0379.JPG

SAM_0381.JPG

SAM_0380.JPG

SAM_0382.JPG

Drew

70cc twin V2
Set up the included CF servo arms. No hardware is include for assembling these, so you will need hardware for this.

Aileron arms....

SAM_0383.JPG

SAM_0385.JPG

Rudder arm....

SAM_0398.JPG

SAM_0396.JPG

SAM_0397.JPG

SAM_0399.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew

70cc twin V2
Prepped the control horns for epoxy. You will have to cut the lower section off of each one since there to long. Scuff the surface for a better epoxy bond.

SAM_0392.JPG

SAM_0393.JPG

I guess they forgot to paint the elevator horns silver....;)

SAM_0394.JPG

Drew

70cc twin V2
While the epoxy cured for horns, I started on the engine install. The motor box has a DLE 30 template printed on it, but after my measurements I found it to be slightly off, I believe its was low about a 1/8" or little more, which is not that big of a deal.

SAM_0378.JPG

Once installed, the engine needed just a little more standoff length, so I small thick washer did the trick.

SAM_0386.JPG

SAM_0388.JPG

When installing the engine cowl, found one of the cowl blind nuts had no threads....:(....good thing I had one, so popped it out and glued in a new one.

SAM_0389.JPG

Once installed, I thought the motor box was not square after seeing this uneven gap. Found its actually the shape of the cowl.

SAM_0390.JPG

You can see the center engine hole is slanted compared to the outer air holes. No fixing this.

SAM_0387.JPG

SnowDog

great build pics Drew! thanks for updating us on your progress. The red control horns against the silver covering is a funny quirk...the slanted engine hole in the cowl...not so funny. :(

could you put a small washer between the cowl and the firewall on the top side to "square up" the cowl to spinner gap? or would that push the top of the cowl too far away from the firewall/fuse?

Drew

70cc twin V2
great build pics Drew! thanks for updating us on your progress. The red control horns against the silver covering is a funny quirk...the slanted engine hole in the cowl...not so funny. :(

could you put a small washer between the cowl and the firewall on the top side to "square up" the cowl to spinner gap? or would that push the top of the cowl too far away from the firewall/fuse?

This is something I was thinking of doing actually. The cowl hangs over the canopy hatch so there is some room for it to move forward before you expose an opening. It also might push the cowl to much further and hit the spinner, therefor needing a little more standoff length.

I had my Syssa 30cc updated to a V2. Aluminum exhaust is now stainless steel and updated carb. Yesterday I ran it up with a vess 18X5 and the tac showed 8100 RPM.....whoooooa. I lost my soft copy of the manual and I want to double check the CG. What does the manual call out for a starting point for the CG?

TimP

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Gapple - sorry about the cowl not lining up. They usually are pretty spot on, but maybe the ring was glued on late on friday afternoon

You could cut out the ring and re mount at a better angle. Send me an email and I'll help you out on this