• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing RC 76" MXS-R

Drew

70cc twin V2
Ok, lets get started on this bad boy.

First impressions, VERY nice kit. From the construction, to the hardware, everything seems to be top notch. I especially like the painted control horns and the included carbon fiber servo arms, love the attention to detail on this plane. Not sure I will be able to let Gary take this one home. :)

Few pics....

SAM_0344.JPG

SAM_0345.JPG

SAM_0346.JPG

SAM_0347.JPG

SAM_0348.JPG

SAM_0352.JPG

SAM_0353.JPG

SAM_0375.JPG

SAM_0355.JPG

SAM_0357.JPG

Drew

70cc twin V2
Got statrted on the hinging last night. I like to alwasy get this out of the way first.

Elevators hinged. I like to coat the hinged area with Vaseline. I heat it up real good so it melts and then bend the hinge and dip it in, rotate the hinge back and forth to insure its in good, do the rest.

SAM_0362.JPG

SAM_0365.JPG

SAM_0366.JPG

SAM_0367.JPG

Then coat one side of the hinge and slide it in till the pin is center to the hinge line, then I let them dry for a bit.

SAM_0368.JPG

Once the epoxy as started to cure, I go ahead and coat the other side and assemble. I like to do one side at a time to insure the hinge pin stays center before sliding the other half on. If one hinge is off, chances are it will let go eventually. Little tape to hold in place while it all dries over night.

SAM_0377.JPG

Drew

70cc twin V2
Worked on the aileron hinging next.

SAM_0370.JPG

While this one dries, I went ahead and cut my servo bays open in the wings. I always use an old soldering iron to cut bays. Comes out clean and heats the covering to stick real well.

SAM_0371.JPG

Heat shrink for my 6" Servo extension.

SAM_0372.JPG

These servos didn't come with mounting hardware, so on to the hobby store to finish.

SAM_0373.JPG

Kit comes with real nice control rods.

SAM_0376.JPG

Did I mention the control horns are pre-painted to match !! :grrreat:

SAM_0374.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Got statrted on the hinging last night. I like to alwasy get this out of the way first.

Elevators hinged. I like to coat the hinged area with Vaseline. I heat it up real good so it melts and then bend the hinge and dip it in, rotate the hinge back and forth to insure its in good, do the rest.

Then coat one side of the hinge and slide it in till the pin is center to the hinge line, then I let them dry for a bit.

Once the epoxy as started to cure, I go ahead and coat the other side and assemble. I like to do one side at a time to insure the hinge pin stays center before sliding the other half on. If one hinge is off, chances are it will let go eventually. Little tape to hold in place while it all dries over night.

Drew, heating up the vaseline and dipping the hinge centers into it is a fantastic idea! thank you for sharing that. it will make hinging much easier in the future!

Also, awesome start to the build. This RedWingRC MXS-R looks like an incredible airframe!!

Drew

70cc twin V2
Drew, heating up the vaseline and dipping the hinge centers into it is a fantastic idea! thank you for sharing that. it will make hinging much easier in the future!

Also, awesome start to the build. This RedWingRC MXS-R looks like an incredible airframe!!

No problem, glad to help, and Yes, this plane is really nice. Cant wait to get this one done !!!!

Chris 3D'N

New to GSN!
Had some personal issues come up this week, and didn't get anything done...
So time to step aside and let another pro have at it!

My local "Master Builder" Drew (gapple12) is going to help us out with the build...
But just to make it interesting, and make up for the delay, I'm going to spice this project up a little...

How about adding some smoke to this bird!?!?

I've got a DLE 30, smoke muffler, Sullivan Skywriter, 16oz smoke tank (which DOES fit side by side with the 16oz fuel tank on the fuel tray), and a gallon of Aero Cumulus smoke oil...

You ready Drew?
Gary said "Master Builder" ?? no kidding! Very nice; pictures and descriptions are easy to follow. Many of us appreciate your efforts helping out here with this great build.
Thx,
Chris
"TEAM REDWING R/C"

TimP

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yes, that is a new touch that I personally worked on getting added to our kits now! Painted horns to match your plane! No sticking out like a sore thumb anymore. Be sure to tell the world! :) We are constantly trying to improve everything we can , from big to small.

Glad you like it so far and thanks for the thread.

Chris, I need to get a photo of you for our sponsor page!
Tim