• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well, talking about just not right, I went to the flying field tonight. Nothing wrong with that. In January we had a day of light winds and 70* temperatures. So what's a guy to do? As soon as I could get away from work I was outta here. Loaded up 1 plane, my radio, and gas can. Got there, unloaded my plane, put it together went back to the van to get my gas can. WHAT? No gas can? Dang. Load it up and go home. Too far to go get it and come back before dark.

Now that just ain't right. I need to double up on my meds.
'Bout the same as leaving your wing tube at home when you were just so certain you grabbed it. Grrrr.....LOL

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
'Bout the same as leaving your wing tube at home when you were just so certain you grabbed it. Grrrr.....LOL
Yep - just like that. I pulled up at the house, and there it sat. My brother told me I needed a checklist for going to the field. I said "for three things?" Well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I hate it when he's right.
SS

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Been working hard on the P51 tonight. Cut out 35 plywood pieces for the wing and fuselage. Also mounted the DLE 85 on the test stand getting ready to start it up when I get a break in the weather. Still have to wait until next week to get the replacement plywood to re-cut FT. After I get that, I should be able to make some pretty good progress on actually putting the pieces together.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I couldn't believe how the Packers gave away the championship game to the Seahawks. I guess it's poetic justice that Seattle gave away the Superbowl to the Patriots. I told my wife that the call Pete Carroll made to throw that pass is exactly what I would've done. Which just goes to show how stupid it was. Especially when you look back at a few of my posts and see some of the lame-brain things I've done. Every Seahawk fan in the world was screaming "give it to Marshawn!!!" Belichick knew it, all the Patriot fans knew it, they lined up to defend it - so throw it, Right?? NO, Give it to Marshawn!!!!!!!!!!! 4 times in a row - He's a beast - he can get 18 inches in 4 tries!!!!!!!!

Oh well - back to the important things in life like building a giant scale P-51.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
During some of the pre-game I worked on the Mustang. While waiting on the replacement wood to arrive, I worked on the fuselage a little. There's a made in America lightweight filler that I found at Home Depot. It's their brand, HDX. It's very light, dries fairly quickly, and is easy to sand. I used it to fill the seams where I cut the sheeting to make the curves on the bottom, back portion of the fuse and also along the front between F2 and F1. There's a floor that goes in behind the firewall, Fb, that I cut out of 1/8th ply and glued to the edges of MS. When there's a plywood to plywood joint that has to be glued, I use Gorilla Brand wood glue. Its an aliphatic resin that sets up pretty hard. It's sandable, semi-waterproof when dry and seems to bond exceptionally well. It slows down the building process a little, because you have to clamp it and then exercize a little patience. I have found that it's best to leave it overnight, just to be on the safe side.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Ok, the wood came in and I was able to get the FTop put on. To do this, you take the piece of plywood and lay it on the building table and put the fuselage upside down on top of it. Use a pencil and draw the outline. The fuselage isn't square so trying to measure and cut it like I did first won't work at all.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I had already cut out the formers for the top and I've been studying the plans and working out some of the details in my head, so this went relatively quick. I used 1/2 inch triangle stock to make sure they were straight and to make them more secure.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
F1 has 7, 1/4inch slots for 1/4inch stringers that run from F1 back to F5. The problem is the formers don't have the corresponding slots. So, I used my grandfather's chalk box and snapped 6 lines on either side of the center stringer. Then I used a straight edge to make sure I had it aligned. The hard part now is cutting the slots. Would have been much easier if they had been drawn on the plans, but they're not.