• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Thanks, Wes. without any pictures and different parts having the same part number, it's a little difficult to move forward with confidence. But, I'm figuring it out. If anyone else decides to build this plane I'll be able to help out a little. It's actually been a great stress reliever. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed building until I'd put together a couple of ARFs and didn't have anything on the building board.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Spent a little time this afternoon working on the front half of the fuselage. It was very tedious, but I finished the stringers from Ft1 to Ft7.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
John and I mounted and started the DLE 85 this evening. I just posted a video and some of my initial thoughts on this engine. It's posted in the gas engine forum under the DLE 85 thread.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I've made a couple of mistakes that cost me time and money. Both of them just from not paying attention. But you know the story about the blind squirrel that occasionally finds an acorn? Sometime back last year, I needed a piece of triangle stock. I was in Hobby Lobby with my wife and looked in their balsa supplies. There it was!! 3/8ths triangle. I grabbed a couple and off I went. When I got home and tried to use it, I realized that it was equilateral triangle stock, not the right angle stock that we most commonly use. Rats!! Useless!!

Fast forward to last night when I was trying to set the angle for F3b. Hmmmm, looks like about 60*. I pulled out the HL triangle stock and low and behold, it's perfect!! Wow, I love it when a plan comes together. Tonight, I'm starting the build on the lower cowling. I'll post some pictures that show how this triangle stock actually does have a purpose.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Now it's time to start working on the lower cowl. I've been putting this off because I didn't know how to do it. I just couldn't see it. I'm still not sure it's going to work. I won't know until I cut it apart. I am sure that it's going to require a lot of work to actually fit and be secure during flight. Here's what I've done so far:

image.jpg

There's a frame that caused a lot of consternation. I couldn't figure out from the plans where it went. I finally decided that it went inside the 3/16ths side. Very frustrating trying to get it just right.