• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Ok, back to work on Gunfighter!
Red are you going to bench run the engine or just using for mock up right now? I need 85cc - 100cc engine, and this DLE is on the short list.
Ive been thinking about that. I have a test stand and if I can get a little help, I might fire it up. It'll be next week because right now we're in the middle of a winter storm warning. But by Monday it will be back in the 60's. If I do, I'll post a video. I'll let you know.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Here's F2. The plans designer said that this is the hardest part of the build and all I can say is that I sure hope so!! I figured out that in order to get it in the proper position I had to attach the hardwood pieces to the back of the former with wood screws then put it in place between the sides. I leveled the fuselage and used a square to set the vertical alignment and measured each corner to the front. I held it in place with a couple of clamps while I drilled pilot holes through the sides. 4 screws and a significant amount of gorilla wood glue on each side did the trick.

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
All I got done tonight is installing F2. It took a lot of time and measuring, and thinking and redoing but in the end, I think I got it straight. And that's kinda important.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
All I got done tonight is installing F2. It took a lot of time and measuring, and thinking and redoing but in the end, I think I got it straight. And that's kinda important.
I've had many nights that I've spent staring and measuring trying to get something straight.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I told one of the first guys that asked me to do this that I didn't feel adequate for the job. Tonight, I took a giant step in proving that. There's a plywood top that runs from F2 to F6. It's not square of course as the fuselage width tapers to the tail. Not a big deal. I drew a center line on the sheet of plywood and marked the end points 32 1/2" . The front is 7" and the back of FTop is 7 7/8". No problem - half of 7 is 3 1/2 and half 7 7/8 is 3 15/16. So, at the front 3 1/2 on either side of the center line and in the rear, 3 15/16" on either side of the same line. The rule that my grandfather always preached to me was measure twice cut once. I should've measured three times because someway I cut 3 1/2 on one side and 2 1/2 on the other. STINK!!!! I ruined the last piece of plywood I had and there's nothing I can do about it except order another piece. DANG!! Are you kidding me?!?!?!

And you guys are watching my building??

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
I installed the engine as a precursor to setting F1. It's not real apparent in the photo but the engine is not exactly centered in the cutout of F1. It's like a 1/16th or maybe slightly more off center to the left. But, I don't believe that it's a real cause for concern. That is, if F2 is right. I dismounted everything re-leveled the fuselage and measured F2 again. Being confident that it's as straight as I know how to get it, I'm making the assumption that it's the sides and F1 that create the impression that the engine is off the centerline. So, I'm moving forward.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Ok, here I go again!! Either I'm going to have to step up my game or stop confessing all my screw ups. I rotated the fuselage several times in trying to get F1 in place while curving the sides around it. I went out this morning to take some pics and post them here. If you look closely at the pic in post 38 you'll see that F1 is upside down. Dang!!

Good news is, it was easy to cut loose, and the sides maintained their shape. I put it back together right side up this time, and by now it should be reset.

I ordered another piece of ply to make FTop so I think until it comes in, we'll have to cut out the rest of the pieces and start cutting ribs and get ready to start laying out the wing.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
As I was told by Terry (Terryscustom), the mark of a true craftsman is how well you hide your mistakes.

Mistakes are going to happen to us mere mortals. You just fix them and move on. The best part is here on GSN no one will snipe at you for them.:)