• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC/ Radiowave 3.1m competition series

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
So heres the piece im working on, windex area liberally, bith sides, rub it in with fingers to ensure 100% coverage with Monokote,  lay the piece and smooth with hand first. Wait 5-10 min to let chemicals kick . Start with 1/16" balsa squeegee,  push outwards and remove most of windex, wait 5 more minutes.

Use balsa 1/2" squeegee and work out more air and water , the covering will begin to feel soft by now, go over and over and over the layer until your happy and then do it some more.

Finally use the plastic squeege and work out the remaining problem areas, be prepared to do this till your bored. The less pimples and air the better. 

Thats all for tonight. Let rest and dry till tomorrow, turn the heat up in the roo if you can or want to. Better than 70° is fine.
20141020_191640.jpg

20141020_201320.jpg

20141020_201707.jpg

20141020_202027.jpg

20141020_203751.jpg

20141020_205126.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

20141020_213131.jpg

20141020_213105.jpg

Forgot to mention preparation of mo okote before windex,  used lint free cloth and alcohol to clean any finger oil and smudges, dry, and then go over with tak cloth to remove any particles before anything goes down, maybe excessive but worth the steps. Heres what were looking at, covering has nice ironed down look already.  The rest of the piece will be ironed down as normal to the quarter round on fuse and belly. The piece covers a 2 1/4" Lap over of Monokote already down, much more than the usual 1/4" to 1" stripe. 

IMAC FANATIC

Alky6 said
Angle points. That makes sense! I was thinking on the same surface, couldn't figure out how they would help. Thanks and look forward to the photo. BTW, how do you lay down pin stripes, etc. Is that where the windex option comes to play? 

Thanks again,

-Paul
Welcome Paul, the pinstripes 1/4" or so can usually go on with no windex, just low heat passes till melt and a shot of trim solvent to seal, even easier is the rolls of pinstripe trim from top flite, cutting good 1/4" strips/stripes is a bear to get perfect. 

But yes, small stripes go on easier with windex, the static adherence helps the lines stay straight when ironing after " curing " overnight.

IMAC FANATIC

-Rick- said
Moving sucks is right, going to have to move my planes to a friends place to keep em safe. 

What servos and motor will you be using in your plane? I still need to buy everything for mine and I'm not sure what servos to get. I like the idea of hitec programmable servos but I'm having a hard time going back to them after watching a new 30cc plane of mine hit the dirt and totaled on the second flight because of an A9!!

I see good things about Savox.
Ive yet to see or tryba savox servo, but yes, ive beard good things about them, havent studied them yet, no idea of dead band or torque specs,resolution etc. . Im a fan of hi tech myself,  price per they're a good choice. Love to have some super high end JR's  but at 250.00 plus a pop times 9.. way outa my league. 

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
did you guys get a deal on red in bulk because it looks like Dave is covering his carden in the background with the same colors 
friendly_wink.png

IMAC FANATIC

LoL,  yeah they're both missile red. Theres like 5- 25' rolls of the stuff here. Would have been nice to have a 200' commercial roll of the color.

IMAC FANATIC

Jetpainter said
Brian, it's really looking nice. I can't wait to see a finished, assembled picture!
Me either ! Cant wait to get this bad boy airborne, assembly starts soon still have hatch , cowl and rudder to deal with, getting more comfortable covering now, by the time im done I should have the skills to do it right. LoL. 

IMAC FANATIC

4 -25' rolls, 1 white with plenty left over, 1 black for wing bottoms ( did both planes checkers), 1 maroon,  2 missile red. And a few feet from daves roll of missile red also, I believe. Im pretty wasteful when it comes to covering, plenty of tugging / oversize cuts and threw away some good sized pieces of maroon and red.  If its not perfect or at least a  " two footer" , looks perfect from 2 feet away,  off it goes and start again.