• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC/ Radiowave 3.1m competition series

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
-Rick- said
Nice Brian!!

Good tips about gluing the razors to scraps!

After using the windex trick on the stripes I always went over them on low heat, guess I didn't need to. I did not know that the windex would activate the glue!! Yes I always use monokote as well.

(my plane will not be touched now till January or Feb, sold my house, moving time!!)
Mine will be on pause as well, im moving also, but because there was a notice of sale on my door to apartment/ town house. Moving sucks . I also use low heat to secure the monokote but not over 200° just to tack the glue but not let it gas. Then go over edges with heat and seal them with trim solvent.

-Rick-

100cc
Moving sucks is right, going to have to move my planes to a friends place to keep em safe. 

What servos and motor will you be using in your plane? I still need to buy everything for mine and I'm not sure what servos to get. I like the idea of hitec programmable servos but I'm having a hard time going back to them after watching a new 30cc plane of mine hit the dirt and totaled on the second flight because of an A9!!

I see good things about Savox.

IMAC FANATIC

Hi tech 7980th and I forgot what for throttle, but ll hi tech . Using a DA-150L wirh MTW re3 pipes and probably a 32x10 L prop. And a spektrum 12x powersafe for reciever, also using booma rc/ advanced radio design,  servo matchers  for ailerons.fromeco power up capacitor and temp/ voltage telemetry from spektrum also.fromeco 5200 123s for power, 

BalsaDust

IMAC-FANATIC said

Invaluable tools for covering 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4"  scrap balas with double edge razor glued to it. Use for lap cuts or really nice flush cuts turned over. 

Not for covering but this block of wood has been with me since the start of the build. My go to tool for sanding awkward areas and dang near everything else. 
20141019_202357.jpg

20141019_202405.jpg

I have always done this with a #11 blade on a piece of 1/8". Where can I find the double edged blades at, does wally world carry them? I like this better than using a #11.

Alky6

150cc
IMAC-FANATIC said
Invaluable tools for covering 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4"  scrap balas with double edge razor glued to it. Use for lap cuts or really nice flush cuts turned over. 

Not for covering but this block of wood has been with me since the start of the build. My go to tool for sanding awkward areas and dang near everything else. 

OK. Really stupid question. How do you use these tools? Do you use them on straight edge to make strips? I am having trouble visualizing how they would work once the covering is on the airframe. Thanks and I apologize for my ignorance.

-Paul

IMAC FANATIC

No problem paul, once a piece is ironed onto the frame at an edge these make a perfect lapped/ lay over cut to seal the covering, for instance.. front edge of turtledeck used inside the radius makes perfect 1/4- 1/16" lip to iron down. Or at wing tip use the blade flush side to make invisible/ flush  seam . Ill take a pic in use tonight n post.

Alky6

150cc
Angle points. That makes sense! I was thinking on the same surface, couldn't figure out how they would help. Thanks and look forward to the photo. BTW, how do you lay down pin stripes, etc. Is that where the windex option comes to play? 

Thanks again,

-Paul

IMAC FANATIC

Not cutting any monokote tonight but like this for a lapped edge or like this for a flush cut, better than fingers and a single edge razor much better than the top flite smart cut, cheaper and easy to control, works great in curved surfaces also. Next time I cut ill get an " actiin" pic.
20141020_205927.jpg

20141020_205937.jpg

Alky6

150cc
Brian, thank you very much. That makes perfect sense. That will make my next covering job much, much easier! Thanks!!!

-Paul