• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC/ Radiowave 3.1m competition series

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Starting to see the big picture with the scheme, cant wait to get the stripes down, only the bottom and one more side piece to put down hopefully tomorrow. Anybody care to see a semi detailed posting on the windex approach to monokote? Or is it old news? 
20141019_215651.jpg

20141019_215704.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

Invaluable tools for covering 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4"  scrap balas with double edge razor glued to it. Use for lap cuts or really nice flush cuts turned over. 

Not for covering but this block of wood has been with me since the start of the build. My go to tool for sanding awkward areas and dang near everything else. 
20141019_202357.jpg

20141019_202405.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

Ko, ill put up pics tomorrow as I go.

We came up with a way to cut monokote in place recently too but didn't take any pics. Its probably well known also but was hugely time saving, just for long fuselage cuts , not a finished line but for where a stripe will cover the joined pieces. 

Jlc

70cc twin V2
Definately post your covering ideas and tricks of the trade! Great recovery on the vertical stab.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
That's an interesting trick IMAC, on the back side did you wrap the solder up so the ends meet to control the transfer width?

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
IMAC-FANATIC said
Starting to see the big picture with the scheme, cant wait to get the stripes down, only the bottom and one more side piece to put down hopefully tomorrow. Anybody care to see a semi detailed posting on the windex approach to monokote? Or is it old news? 
20141019_215651.jpg

20141019_215704.jpg
The windex trick is actually really easy but only works for those using Monokote because the chemicals in the windex react with the glue in the monokote.

Basically what you are going to do with your stripe or second color that you are laying over the first layer of monokote is apply the stripe like you would a vinyl graphic using the wet method. 

1. Spray the area that you are going to be applying the stripe with the windex
  2. Lay the stripe down and get it in the desired position
  3. Then use a squeegee to  remove all air bubbles and excess windex
  4. allow 24hrs to dry and the stripe should laid down nicely. (Optional)  take your iron and just run down the seams of the stripe
We first used this method on my 41% pitts and it was a lifesaver due to the scheme and all the open bays Al had to deal with then covering the airplane.  In the two years I have had the pitts there is not a bubble on it.

-Rick-

100cc
Nice Brian!!

Good tips about gluing the razors to scraps!

After using the windex trick on the stripes I always went over them on low heat, guess I didn't need to. I did not know that the windex would activate the glue!! Yes I always use monokote as well.

(my plane will not be touched now till January or Feb, sold my house, moving time!!)

IMAC FANATIC

Solder was tied in the back to keep the measurement right, then I drew the line and cut to the inside to keep it tight to the fin. Required one 1/16" Trimming to make it perfect.
20141019_151716-1.jpg