• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A favor please @Wacobipe and @Maxwell1945 if you both wouldn't mind? It won't be too long before I start sheeting the fuse and I am a little lost what should be done regarding the bottom of the fuse. Certainly I will sheet around the lower wing and down to the bottom of the can tunnel. Wondering however what you guys did about the bottom of the fuse. Did you just allow the covering to go around the formers and thus creating a semi-flat bottom? Or did you do something to give it some shape? I was planning on perhaps putting in a couple of stringers in the bottom of the fuse then sheeting all the way around. What do you guys suggest? Any chance you have some photos of the bottom of your fuse? Naked and then covered? It would be greatly appreciated.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Rob,

The bottom of the fuse is left open for your choice of exhaust and you also need to get to the lower wing mounting bolts through the opening
. I covered the original to the edge of the bottom and then used a can of the stone paint to paint the under belly where the exhaust goes

20161107_164040.jpg 20161107_164028.jpg Hi Rob;20161107_164040.jpg 20161107_164028.jpg 20161107_163946.jpg 20161107_164015.jpg 20161107_164022.jpg
Here are some shots of the bottom of my Jtec M-12 . I made a removable hatch to clean up the bottom of the plane . Also covers up the servo wires and lower wing mounting bolts. The front of it is tongue and grooved the rear is held in place with a 4-40 screw and tee-nut. hope this helps !!

I like your wing tips!!

Van

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
View attachment 91143 View attachment 91144 Hi Rob;View attachment 91143 View attachment 91144 View attachment 91145 View attachment 91146 View attachment 91147
Here are some shots of the bottom of my Jtec M-12 . I made a removable hatch to clean up the bottom of the plane . Also covers up the servo wires and lower wing mounting bolts. The front of it is tongue and grooved the rear is held in place with a 4-40 screw and tee-nut. hope this helps !!

I like your wing tips!!

Van
THAT'S IT!!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Ya know? There is something to be said for evil minds thinking alike. That is exactly what I had pictured in my head. Or something close to it. Now I know I am not crazy. LOL. Thank you, thank you...THANK YOU Van.

Wacobipe

100cc
A favor please @Wacobipe and @Maxwell1945 if you both wouldn't mind? It won't be too long before I start sheeting the fuse and I am a little lost what should be done regarding the bottom of the fuse. Certainly I will sheet around the lower wing and down to the bottom of the can tunnel. Wondering however what you guys did about the bottom of the fuse. Did you just allow the covering to go around the formers and thus creating a semi-flat bottom? Or did you do something to give it some shape? I was planning on perhaps putting in a couple of stringers in the bottom of the fuse then sheeting all the way around. What do you guys suggest? Any chance you have some photos of the bottom of your fuse? Naked and then covered? It would be greatly appreciated.

The canister tunnel on mine is painted black...but wide open. I wanted to give my canister as much fresh air as possible. You would never notice it on mine n flight...but I don't hover 3feet in front of my face either!

Wacobipe

100cc
View attachment 91143 View attachment 91144 Hi Rob;View attachment 91143 View attachment 91144 View attachment 91145 View attachment 91146 View attachment 91147

I like your wing tips!!

Van
Nice hatch!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hi Rob, Just a side view of my Jtec M-12, Hope it may help in some way.

Van
Thanks Van. You and Brett are definitely keeping me in line on this build. :way_to_go:

I like your trim scheme!!! Then again I have a thing for those colors on a biplane ;)

View attachment 91164

Okay, back to Stang's Pitts build ;)
Pretty!! But then I like Orange and Blue.

Just thought I would give you all a quick update on the Pitts. I've had to pull off of it for a few days. After doing a count on remaining balsa sheets and a few other things, I discovered that I needed to order just a few more supplies to complete the build. Thankfully, UPS shows tracking for the remaining items to be delivered tomorrow. Just in time for the chilly and raining weekend. I figure to get the wings totally completed this weekend and hopefully the fuse finished up. Or at least the biggest majority. I also glanced over the remaining parts from the kit and there really is not much left. Does this mean it is almost done? LOL. Actually, I do have to correct an earlier statement I made regarding the interplane struts. I "thought" they were balsa sheeted on both sides. I really didn't notice the other two halves that go with them. Obviously the extra two pieces are laminated to each strut. I really wasn't paying attention when I set everything out in order. @Wacobipe and @Maxwell1945, you're slipping. You were supposed to call me out on this. LOL.

I do plan to build a hatch on the bottom of the fuse as @Maxwell1945 did with his. I was wanting a "cleaner" look for the bottom. Since I plan to use the in cowl mufflers/exhaust with the 70 twin, I have no need for a can tunnel to be opened up. I am also getting very close to a final decision on the covering and scheme.

I'll be back on the build tomorrow with more photos as I proceed. Stay tuned...more to come.