• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
If he uses the Hitec gear he normally uses he won't be able to do this. But t is a good idea :way_to_go:

Come to think of it Fellas, I'm not sure whether or not I can do it either. I can do any number of servos with one servo wire using SBUS, but that may be all I can do too.

Sorry to drag your AWESOME build off topic, Buddy

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not to worry Dave. You didn't drag the build off topic. In my opinion, anything that has to do with the building such as suggestions or options is also part of the topic, right? Thank you. But I think I remember from a few years back where some guys were running more than one rx. in their planes due to the size. I thought JR and Futaba could be run this way. I am hoping that when Hitec comes out with a new radio, perhaps their new protocol will allow it?????? If not, no big. I will still buy the new Hitec.
I just wish they would hurry up and "git 'er done"!
impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sorry everyone, I sort of run out of steam today. Must be the nasty cold I have been fighting for the last four days. I did however get the left upper wing completely framed except for the control arm block, sheeting and cap strips. I actually did consider the torque rod from the upper aileron to the lower aileron on the same side. Unfortunately, I can't do that now as I did not put the control arm blocks in the same bays on both the wings. Sooo...I will probably just run an extension from each aileron port on the SF through the fuse near the cabanes up to the center wing section. Then a simple plug in from each upper wing panel servo to the extension on each side of the center section. I will just have to be very crafty to hide the extension or make it as in-noticeable as possible.

I'm probably going to take a short break from the build for a couple of days. But I will get back to it as soon as possible. Hate leaving you all hanging. In the meantime, here is the progress for today.

I started by protecting the sheeting of the center section and making sure it was securely affixed to the jig. Then protecting the TR4 rib with wax paper to keep it separated from the TR5 rib of the wing.

20161101_101500.jpg
20161101_101534.jpg

Next, to insure the TR5 rib of the wing was absolutely flat against the TR4 rib of the center section I "T" pinned it into place so that it could not move. As with the "right" upper wing, I want as close of a fit as possible. Next I slide into position the TR6, 7 and number 8 ribs and used the IC 2000 glue to attach them to the phenolic wing tube. After that, I slide the carbon fiber spars and the shear web into place and glued them all into place. I found this to be a much easier way to assemble the wing from the way I did the previous three. On those, I basically slide all the ribs on to the CF rods then slide them into position and lay them all on the jigs. I also used the angle jigs to set the ribs all at a 90 degree angle.

20161101_105554.jpg
20161101_105625.jpg
20161101_110156.jpg
20161101_110208.jpg

For the TR9 and TR10 rib doublers, I decided to use the jig extension piece that was used to set the trailing edge post for the fin. Since the fuse is basically done and I have no need for it any longer, I figured I could put it to good use. I basically traced, cut and sanded to shape the major portion of the doublers that will be used to strengthen the ribs that will support the aileron servos.

20161101_111249.jpg

20161101_111923.jpg
20161101_124242.jpg
20161101_124301.jpg

Next I set the angle for the interplane strut mounts and glued in place. Double checking the angle on the remaining ribs TR 9, 10, 12, 13 and TR 14 I glued those into place also.

20161101_134022.jpg
20161101_134122.jpg
20161101_134133.jpg

Now with all the ribs in place and glued I could start placing all the 1/4" square wing spars and glue them into place. As with the previous three wing sections and the fuse, most of the gluing was done with CA to tack into place, then back gluing with the Titebond. Where I was able to glue wood to clean non-lazer gut wood I used CA to bond the parts together.

20161101_134145.jpg

Last thing I did tonight was to once again make sure the TR4 rib of the center section and the TR5 rib of the wing was super tight against one another. I drilled the bolt down block holes and inserted the blind nuts and bolted the sections together.

20161101_200251.jpg
20161101_200307.jpg

When I return to the build, I will build the control arm block that will fit between TR9 and TR10. Then lay in the aileron sheeting into place then remove the bolt from the trailing edge of the wing and lay that sheeting into place. Last will be the leading edge and then finally the leading edge sheeting.

Normally I can frame up a wing or a fuse in just a couple of days. It seems that each of these steps is taking a very long time to complete. But then again, I am really taking my time to make sure everything fits tight. I want this Pitts to be amazing all the way through.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looking really, really good!!

Hey Rob,

I know all about leaving people hanging, so don't sweat it. Just go do whatcha gotta do. We'll be waiting for your build to continue.

Ah! Thank you...Thank you very much. Both of ya's. Actually, I couldn't leave the Pitts hanging in mid step. (Last wing to frame) Soooo....yup. Got it finished to the level of the others. Now my Pitts really is "nuthin' but bones"! LOL.
I'll get back to the build in a short time. Thanks again gents.
20161102_050331.jpg
20161102_060505.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ya'll ever notice that when you really enjoy what you're doing, it's so difficult to walk away from it. Such is the case for me. I don't know what it is about this Pitts, but I just have a hard time leaving it alone.

After doing some cleaning and organizing this morning, I made a "HUGE" mistake. I moved the wings to the Pitts. Oh that's all it took. I just had to do something with those darned things. Oops!! Now I've done it! No turning back now. Guess I'll just have to start sheeting the opposite side of the wings!:laughing:

But hey, they look ok don't they....right???:banana-dance:

20161102_142738.jpg

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Hey Rob,

Sorry for any inconsistencies in the manual, I am just getting caught back up with your thread as I took a short needed vacation. When you're done and have a little or a lot of time please send us a list of what you consider problem area's. We go into this, designing and putting together kits without instructions. Then assume the builder know what the heck to do. We want to make it a s easy as possible. The original manual was done by a friend and we should have figured how he likes short cuts.

This design is basically a scaled down version of all the larger Trueworthy Pitts 12 which a bunch have been built. We worked with Bob to scale it down and make the jigs to help hopefully make it easier to build. There are some issues to scaling we did not catch or see. Obviously you have caught some issues we would like to take care of.

We work very hard on our designs to make sure proper fit, alignment and ease of construction. Unfortunately sometimes when working on other designs that have been around for a while you don't always catch the little stuff. We will obviously go through the manual and try to make it better as well as fixing those little issues you have run into with your help.

Thanks
Al