• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey @Maxwell1945 ....I'm thinking of moving my main gear forward an inch or 2.... mine seems a little light in it's tailfeathers when there isn't a lot of airspeed. What are your thoughts? Thought I should throw this out for discussion before @stangflyer gets to that stage...
Oh hey...thank you a bunch. That would have been on the agenda for this weekend. I'm thinking it may be a good idea considering I'll have a little more nose weight up front.

Well I don't think it will hurt it at all to move it forward. If you look at the pictures of mine , I did move the gear up into the fuselage and a bit forward. I did this because I thought it looked like an Ostrich with the gear mounted on the bottom of the fuselage .
Hope this helps!!
Van

Last edited:

Wacobipe

100cc
Don't know about the 26% but I moved the gear forward on my 35%. Right up to the backside of the cowling which was a good 2 inches further forward. My Ultimate can get a little nerve racking taxiing in the grass because the gear is too far aft, I didn't wanna have that problem with my Pitts!
As the 26% is essentially a direct scale version of the 35% from what I understand...should be similar characteristics.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well I don't think it will hurt it at all to move it forward. If you look at the pictures of mine , I did move the gear up into the fuselage and a bit forward. I did this because I thought it looked like an Ostrich with the gear mounted on the bottom of the fuselage .
Hope this helps!!
Van

Don't know about the 26% but I moved the gear forward on my 35%. Right up to the backside of the cowling which was a good 2 inches further forward. My Ultimate can get a little nerve racking taxiing in the grass because the gear is too far aft, I didn't wanna have that problem with my Pitts!

As the 26% is essentially a direct scale version of the 35% from what I understand...should be similar characteristics.
All very good information to have. What do you guys think would be the optimal relocation? 1"? 1.5"? 2"? I myself am leaning to the 1.5" mark. Not sure a half inch either way is going to make a huge difference. But certainly 1.5" forward will definitely help.

I did get a little more work done on the Pitts. I am finishing up the top wings today. Will post some photos later.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Wacobipe,

Actually its not a scaled down version of the 35%. The 35% was heavy and really needed a 150 to fly it, hence the nose weight. It is more scaled to the 41% but even there its different.

The original flew fine with the gear at its location. Battery placement works for balance and the original 26% flew with a DA 50 and canister. The canister was behind the CG. By the way we probably will start supplying the new kits with carbon gear.;

Al

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
By the way we probably will start supplying the new kits with carbon gear.;
Soooo....does this mean You would love so much to send the carbon gear as replacement for mine since it's not built yet. Not completely any way.
hearty-laugh.gif

Well, how about a little update? Not a lot accomplished but just a little. Once the much needed sheeting and other supplies I ordered arrived, I focused first on the top center wing section. About all that was left was to sheet the top and shape the leading edge. I got that knocked out pretty quick. I will hold off on shaping the trailing edge until I have the ailerons cut from the wings, capped and hinge points drilled. But for now, looks pretty sharp.
20161112_192627.jpg
20161112_192642.jpg

Once the center wing section was done, I got to sheeting the top of the right wing panel. Pretty quick here too, as there really isn't much to the sheeting and cap strips. Once that was done, I bolted the right wing section to the center section to shape the leading edge to match. It also made it much easier to match the sheeting on the wing panel and the center section so they are uniformly matched.
20161113_150215.jpg
20161113_150232.jpg
20161113_150320.jpg

After completing the top right wing panel, I moved on to the top left wing panel. Doing as I did with the right wing, got it sheeted and cap striped. I also got the doublers laminated to the number 9 and 10 wing ribs. This is where I will mount the servo bay door rails. Like the right wing panel, I bolted the left wing panel to the center section along with the right wing panel, then sanded the sheeting to match and also the leading edge of the wing panel.
20161113_170114.jpg
20161113_170133.jpg
20161113_190457.jpg
20161113_190603.jpg

I also got the lower wings just allllll-most done. Ailerons are cut free and about all that is left on the lower wings is drilling the hinge points then beveling the ailerons. I am thinking that I may do a double bevel on all the surfaces. Surely I can get the needed deflection angles by just doing the leading edges of all the control surfaces. But I want to get some really good movement so I may bevel the trailing edges of the flight surfaces. Not sure yet, but will see.
20161112_193220.jpg
20161112_193234.jpg

So that's about it for tonight. Tomorrow I am planning on getting the wing tips built for the top wings, cut the ailerons free, cap the leading and trailing edges of each surface. Possible get everything drilled for hinges and then get the beveling done. My hope is to be totally done with the wings tomorrow night. Oh yeah, I still have to laminate the rib doublers in the lower wings for the servo door rails. Making progress now is slowing down but still shooting to get her done and ready for covering soon.
happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif