• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC 2.7m Extra 300CS

@Alky6 - for reference what size speed squares are in the pic below. Assume the big one is 12"?

image-jpg.9857

Last edited:

Alky6

150cc
@Alky6 - for reference what size speed squares are in the pic below. Assume the big one is 12"?

image-jpg.9857

The original is Swanson Speed Square and were made of aluminum. Designed for doing roof trusses.
http://www.amazon.com/Swanson-SO101-7-inch-Speed-Square/dp/B00002255O

Overkill, but here is the Wikipedia link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_square

They are 7" and 12" versions. Careful with the plastic ones. Normally, using them as designed would be similar to a square to establish a line drawn on a piece of lumber to cut to, so they are not machined square (the plastic ones, aluminum ones are) on the bottom of the small flange. If you are going to use them in the manner above, you may have to do some sanding to the "slag" left over during the manufacturing process.
Harbor Freight also has them for really cheap.

Alky6

150cc
Got the stab tube socket glued in. Made a couple of fixtures to ensure the stab and wing tubes are parallel to each other in the plan view. Used level blocks to ensure parallel in the rear view.

I was getting tired of trying to measure back and forth on each side so I used the wing tube and stab tube to punch a couple holes in some 3/32" balsa. Then glued the wing tube balsa to some spruce and cut the ends off each piece so they were equal. Then it was just a matter of measuring the short distance from the end of the spruce to the stab tube. Very simple....once I figured it out. Cool thing is that having the blocks and the other fixtures assured the stab tube socket remained rigid while I glued it in.

It wasn't off that much, but because it is such a short distance between the sides of the fuse, any small change during construction of the fuse can make a big impact to how well the socket lines up.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg