• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC 2.7m Extra 300CS

Alky6

150cc
Landing gear mounts:
Almost complete. Because the cannisters will make it difficult to access the landing gear nuts, I opted to attach some tee nuts to some hard maple in lieu of using nyloc nuts. Still need to relieve the center to make room for the center mounting bolt to the fuse sides. Had considered using the aluminum square stock and tapping threads in it, but the weight penalty was pretty steep. And I was concerned with a hard landing the force being directly applied to the center fuse mounting bolt versus the inherent flexibility currently built in to the design.

Cannister mounts:
Started gluing them in. With the header lengths, the can outlets will be just behind the end of the cowl. Because it is a tight fit, I am opting to help route cooling air around the front cannister mount through the lightening holes in the fuse. Instead of gluing balsa sheeting to the fuse sides to close off the tunnel, I am spacing the sheeting out with 1/4" square stock to help get an additional flow of air to the cans.

Fuse stiffening:
Adding some carbon fiber rod trussing to the bottom rear of the fuse to really stiffen it up. Will make it easier setting up the stab tube socket in the fuse as it won't flex once this is done. Thanks to my father-in-law for the old carbon arrow shafts. They will work great and nice and light. Going to use Hysol 9430 to glue in the carbon as that stuff really bonds well to the carbon. Will pre-prep and clean the shafts with acetone to help soften up the epoxy to help with bonding.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL. Got it from a pawn shop years ago to measure the hysol epoxy mixing. The 9430 requires a 100:23 by weight mix ratio. Couldn't beat the price!;)
On one of the products I use at work you add 3.7% catalyst. I hate having to use a calculator to mix things.;)

Alky6

150cc
On one of the products I use at work you add 3.7% catalyst. I hate having to use a calculator to mix things.;)
Yes, it is a bit of a pita, but I'll put up with it for the outstanding results! It sure is easy to batch any size you need versus using a pump that gives you 1 oz with a 4:1 ratio! Great for building boats, not so good for these smaller planes! LOL. definitely have to keep a calculator handy though....