• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC practice tips for new pilots.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
You mean it was HUGE!!!!!!!!!! :LOL_gif:

Matt brings up a good point. Having someone critique your flying and record it (cell phone) for payback after you land is a fantastic way to learn. For me it's better than having them stand by you and critique while you're flying, cause you can't really pay attention to every comment and fly at the same time.....at least I can't.

Sitting down with the recording after a sequence or two really helps you hear what the person says while the flight is still fresh in your mind.

We did this all the time in full scale competition. Don't see it used too much in IMAC. Obviously, the person doing the critique needs to know what they're talking about.... :msn_slap:

Last edited:

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I agree with the recording idea. If someone is talking in my ear it just distracts me too much from the actual flying. Maybe if you were repeating the same figure and got the critique in between it could work out. I don't even like my caller to talk unless I get confused and then I'll ask "what's next."

-Rick-

100cc
Okay, great if you some help near by. But in my case, I'm the only one in my area that interest in IMAC. Any advice? Video it? Or just talk to yourself and make notes?

thurmma

150cc
If you can video it and then post to some of the forums with active IMAC fliers you could get some useful insight and tips I am sure.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Biggest problem with videos (even if they are decent quality) is the lack of perspective in relation to the ground as well as movement through the air. Very difficult to judge as far as my experience goes.

rmyers

70cc twin V2
Biggest problem with videos (even if they are decent quality) is the lack of perspective in relation to the ground as well as movement through the air. Very difficult to judge as far as my experience goes.

Kind of like my frustration with the sim.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !

That's a very big problem unless you use 3D camcorder.

As for you being the only guy that is interest and fly imac on your club/area the only solution for that is to fly, go to the nearest contest, compete and get the experience there.
It takes some time and a lot of patience but as I like to say you must compete if you want to advance.

-Rick-

100cc
I did go to my first contest last year. And wow did I suck! Everything I had practiced I left at home, I'm going to blame it on nerves but totally forgot about using my left hand!! First time in front of many people (and judges!!) really got to me.

But... It was a great experience, and no one came up to me and said I sucked. Everyone there were so helpful and understanding. Met many good people! As they said I cleared the first hurdle by getting the plane out of the car!!

Flying alone does not help, I will be making a few trips this year down to some of the people I met just to fly with and get critiqued.

Last edited: