• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC practice tips for new pilots.

garlandk

100cc
I just see no harm in remaining inverted between sequences it is not specificly called out... I would invite you to a north east contest to see the fun we have... There are many rules yes... I truly love iMac, I came from pattern or f3a where I spent most of my life and left because of stupid rules that just kept emilinating fun... It is the fact that iMac is turning into pattern... Look at the turn out in the nats that should say something right there... It's not moving in the correct direction... I joined iMac because of the "scale" aspect of it.. But come to find out the airplanes that are flying are NOT scale and this is just f3a with airplanes that have scale names... It's sad but I will fly the north east contests because they are family and we have a great time despite the rules...

I can assure you if you came to a north east contest, you would have the time of your life and at the same time DQ everyone for something... We did a "test" of the judges at one contest and it made a joke of the judging school... I will not say anymore here but if you wish to continue offline in a private fourm my email is M.Carruthers@icloud.com. I encourage you to email me but it's okay if you don't

There are rules for a reason and judges must follow them. It is not that hard and it is a very simple rule to follow. What I ask is it fair I compete in one region and get zeroed for something that cost me the contest, but go to another region and they don't give zeros for that thing I messed up last contest and the guy ends up beating me and he did the exact same thing I did last contest?

All regions need to be the same. You are not helping your guys when they go to big events like TAS and NATs.

I have been doing IMAC for many many years and find it very easy to comply with the rules that are set.

Its simple
1. Take Off
2. Legal Turn Around Maneuvers if required
3. Enter Box
4. Compete Sequence
5. Set your self up again for second sequence
6. Finish last sequence and exit box correctly.
7. Land

garlandk

100cc
yeah maybe it was a bad day at work... i am sure that @Silver Fox is a great guy and he has done a fantastic job with IMAC and i love it so very much. i just would hate to see the scale aspect of iMac disappear and it is leaving a sour taste in my mouth... yes a truly scale airplane doesn't fly fantastic but that is part of the challenge... tailoring this airplanes to have zero coupling and needing no mixes is just turning them into oversize pattern airplanes and that kills me... yes the dalton MEL flies amazing but it should, it doesn't even look like an extra.. sorry it has been a rough day and seeing this gave me an opportunity to vent a bit... i love iMac and what its roots are, weather i agree with what it has become, well that is my issue. i just can't wait to whoop someones ass with a true 10% TOC airplane this year sorry if you felt attacked wayne just had some stuff bottled up that had to come out...

@Pistolera as for you, once i am allowed to fly somewhere... if we are every allowed to fly, i am going to practice my butt off to come for you! :)
But the Dalton MEL is within the 10% rule....
Just because a user has a Dalton does not make them the best (even though Tony say it does ;) ) Yes it is a great flying airplane, but it still takes A LOT of skill to win a contest.

Guys for those that get upset here is how I think of IMAC competition.
This sport is not a contest against other people, it is a contest against yourself. When you go up and its your turn to fly you are not competing against the guy that flies before or after you. You are competing against yourself when you are in that spot. When pilots start blaming judges, weather, or their airplane they are forgetting about blaming themselves. Once you can blame yourself for your mistakes you will become a better pilot. I generally don't go to an event to win. 90% of the time I am just having a great time with my friends that enjoy doing the same thing I do. The other 10% I am flying my three rounds and unknown and seeing if I beat myself that weekend.

If people would step back and look at the bigger picture you will see what I mean. From a pilots standpoint I know I will never do a perfect maneuver nor I never deserve a 10 because there is no such thing as a perfect maneuver.

"Perfection is something you will not obtain, but the effort in trying to get there is what it is all about" - Michael Goulian

Michael Goulian mentions a lot what I said about in a video I saw a while back and it really stuck to me.

http://www.imacworlds.com
Dudes.... just ..... WOW ... group hug .... :joy:

Love you guys :twins:
We all enjoy the sport of Scale Aerobatics MORE than we care to admit. That mixed feeling of competition, sportsmanship and camaraderie is ingrained throughout the entire system.

We (myself included) may all feel that the above is only found in our quarter of the bushes. However, Dean Bird (SW region), Primo Rivera(SE region), Michael Verzwyvelt (NW region) Steve Richardson (Australia), Bruno Macedo (Brazil), Micke Scander (Sweden), Manrico Mincuzzi (Italy) and MANY MORE can attest to the fact, that the same feeling/environment permeates throughout their regions/countries.

So.... We really do not hold the patent on enjoyment....it is definitely shared in ALL of IMAC.

All I had wanted to do...was to point out a rule that was all....... With no ill-intent.

THANKS Earle...... It is much appreciated.
BTW.... You better start sharpening your skills for the 2018 IMAC World Championships...... It's in the pipeline!! :):yesss:
Wayne

Last edited:
M

Matt

Well sorry to derail this thread but Earle had a good practice method that I have used and is still helpful because both him and I have had an oh crap moment of wrong rudder while inverted... So big perfect square loops are really effective at high inverted rudder practice

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
And when you get bored just put a 1/2 roll on each line! Then you have centering, roll rate, wind correction, line lengths and radii to make perfect....all in one figure :dancing-chicken:

tl3

50cc
And when you get bored just put a 1/2 roll on each line! Then you have centering, roll rate, wind correction, line lengths and radii to make perfect....all in one figure :dancing-chicken:
The next progression is a square fig 8. Make your end verticals your airspace boundaries / box limit, and the center line dead center in front of you. Try tracing the lines having each leg be in exactly the same spot as the previous time, then starting adding 1/2 rolls on the vertical legs. when you're comfortable with that, start increasing the complexity of the roll elements.

rmyers

70cc twin V2
I agree nothing is better than real flying. We're grounded here for the next 10 days except for snow flying. I thought I'd give the sim a try. Perhaps on a bigger screen? Thanks for all the feedback!

Well I answered my own question. Bigger screen doesn't help. On my Samsung 65" LCD the same thing happens. When I have keep ground in sight turned on the airplane almost vanishes at the top of up-lines, loops, etc. If I can't see the horizon I lose track of direction/drift and get disoriented. Guess I'll just have to force myself to get used to flying lower.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Don't excel your mistakes by flying alone, fly with a friend so he will tell you in the end of the flight where you got something wrong and how to make it right.

When we fly we are in what it usually being called a "tunnel vision" so even when you think you did something usually it's what the brain wants you to think and not what actually happened... So use a friend or...record it with a camera.

Always write what to do better, don't remember it...you won't !