• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC practice tips for new pilots.

thurmma

150cc
@-Rick- I was the same way at my first contest. The nerves settled down on subsequent contests. It is a very addicting segment of the hobby and a blast to be involved with. Great people and you never stop learning. If you really want to get the inside scoop, go to a judging school! What an eye opener. I wish I would have went to one BEFORE I started flying last year. It would have made all of the difference in the world. Wish we were closer, I would definitely fly with you. Good luck!

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I did go to my first contest last year. And wow did I suck! Everything I had practiced I left at home, I'm going to blame it on nerves but totally forgot about using my left hand!! First time in front of many people (and judges!!) really got to me.

But... It was a great experience, and no one came up to me and said I sucked. Everyone there were so helpful and understanding. Met many good people! As they said I cleared the first hurdle by getting the plane out of the car!!

Flying alone does not help, I will be making a few trips this year down to some of the people I met just to fly with and get critiqued.
That's IMAC in a nutshell.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
If you really want to get the inside scoop, go to a judging school! What an eye opener. I wish I would have went to one BEFORE I started flying last year. It would have made all of the difference in the world. Wish we were closer, I would definitely fly with you. Good luck!

This is HUGE. You really should go to at least ONE judging school...so you learn about the scoring and deductions. I've witnessed many beginning IMAC pilots get discouraged because they're not aware of very simple and easy little things they get deducted for.

or...

a pilot will not know why they scored low on certain maneuvers and then never correct it, etc etc and the same discouragement happens.

Just my two cents.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yup after 5 years... Still the same thing when when take off in front of judges... Good thing we don't fly 72mghz anymore or the shaking antenna would rip the transmitter from my hands
And don't forget to BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!

This is HUGE. You really should go to at least ONE judging school...so you learn about the scoring and deductions. I've witnessed many beginning IMAC pilots get discouraged because they're not aware of very simple and easy little things they get deducted for.
or...
a pilot will not know why they scored low on certain maneuvers and then never correct it, etc etc and the same discouragement happens.

Just my two cents.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!

-Rick-

100cc

or...

Just my two cents.

Or read, read, read as much as you can on all the sites about IMAC. Judges will be discussing on how certain maneuvers are scored and I learned a lot that way. Also ask questions, IMAC people are very willing to answer. I have a few go-to guys that are judges I will email when something has me confused such as lately, the 360% turn. They explained to me on how it should be done and what the judges look for and basically talk or email me through it.

Just because I have no help near by doesn't mean I'm alone when it comes to questions!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I've seen it happen often (not passing out)....just not breathing for extended periods, which doesn't help your focus, or anything else. I sometimes still catch myself doing it, but usually I'm only out of breath from laughing!!! :LOL_gif:

Dirt

50cc
I don't forget to breath but occasionally forget to blink!! That caused me eyes to kinda glaze over and reduces what little vision I have!!