• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

As for the counter rotating, it is really preference. Some people like having no p-factor to compensate for, even though it may increase weight. It is a very careful balance to meet weight requirements while still getting optimum performance.

Maybe [MENTION=413]Brian Yak Dude[/MENTION] can comment in this.

The contra is kind of a gray area for us in pattern, with the majority of electric pilots not running one. For the weight, expense and just simply having another part to break, the contra doesn't really tickle our fancy. There are a few who claim the contra gives them a serious advantage, but the fact is there's no REAL facts on the actual gains of the setup. Sounds all very fabulous in theory, but in practice it's not quite so clear.

The majority of electric pattern flyers (including myself) prefer a good motor and a lite (falcon or APC) prop. although this is pretty standard, it's very easy to get a nice throttle curve and good power throughout the whole flight that's consistent and quiet.

On the idea of bipes, this is also a bit of a grey area. Designing a biplane requires much more effort and determination than an equal mono. Unfortunately in the majority of biplanes in the pattern world, they aren't all what they crack up to be. On the other hand, especially in todays sequences (our FAI F3A) are very demanding on the aircraft, and the WELL setup biplane is seeming like the way to go. They just handle the maneuvers with more aggression and let you command them. But without a proper setup, a biplane will restrict any pilot more than any other plane will.

Congrats to the USA F3A championship

I notice that the picture of the US F3A team in model aviation
Has two unexpected aspects that I would like to understand better.

1) airframes - two mid wing monoplanes are joined by two biplanes. Granted my skills are trivial compared to these guys, but I found bikes to be more difficult to fly precisely - clearly I am mistaken - In sights please?
2) Prop drive - one contra rotating double and 3 single prop setups - I know P factor is negated by contra at expense of weight - what else goes into the choice of one versus the other?

You did see correctly. I have the honor of knowing and flying with the guys you see in the picture, and maybe can share some insight on your question. Andrew.and Joseph (flying the monos) found two good monoplane airplanes, that when set up well gave them the most advantageous set up for their flying style. not necessarily because biplanes are more difficult to fly, but their style, and the airplanes available on the market, they made the choice that was best for them. I don't know much about Jason's airplane, but Brett Wickizer and his bipe are a long story. Bryan Hebert, the designer of that bipe and the coach of both Brett and I, spent hundreds of hours on that plane to make it fly well. Hours of design and setup and thought went into it, and it gave Brett a fierce edge in his flying. Anyone can fly a bipe, but a masterful pilot like himself and a biplane set up the way the Alferma is, is a key not many people posses. And he's a very hard contender to beat when he's on his game with that airplane.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Great insight

Concluding that for those of us whose skills are closer the middle of the bell curve, monoplane is the sensible choice.

I'd love to hear Bryan Herbert enlighten us on what process he follows to get a get flying airframe - (hinting that maybe we could coax him into the forum for some guidance)

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
On a related subject of setup. I took to "really" setting up my 78 for IMAC yesterday with a couple "transitioning" members. They saw first hand how tedious it can be. I told them that the top pilots spend many many hours on setup so those lines are true and they don't have to "fly out" bad tendencies. Good stuff.
I'm trying to do a vid with the sportsman sequence flying, describing, and mini critiquing at the same time. Came close yesterday. We'll see. Just a primary for those getting into it. Maybe do it with basic too.

dth7

Shot the raw footage today. Did it with the Basic and an EF Laser (60") to show electric can work. Came down after one round, 2 sequences at 50%. Had a new to IMaC member call using a "script" method. Worked great and I think we have something to use in one take! Maybe tonight.

dth7

Ok guys, here it is. I use a HD hat cam and I was "jack of all trades"- filming, narrating and flying. I did have a new to IMAC member, John D help me out by calling for me. This is my first attempt at an instructional video so feedback is welcomed. If accepted well I'd like to do a few more on IMAC and precision. I hope it does some good and people can learn from it. Enjoy.
Daren
*program note- the iPhone version doesn't honor the annotations that are integral to the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvC809Ghl0Y

Last edited by a moderator:

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Thanks - very helpful - already see several things I can do better. I will be going back to this one multiple times.

I have practicing with a 50" 3D airplane - probably have some retuning to do if I want it to track right for IMAC.

The stall before the spin I had read about, and thought I was doing it, but clearly wasn't letting the stall fully develop.

I ususally fly pretty close in, which was making my figures pretty tight - spreading them out as you did will help have some nice clean lines between manuevers, and give my brain a bit of time to focus .

Again, greatly appreciate the effort

dth7

Thanks - very helpful - already see several things I can do better. I will be going back to this one multiple times.

I have practicing with a 50" 3D airplane - probably have some retuning to do if I want it to track right for IMAC.

The stall before the spin I had read about, and thought I was doing it, but clearly wasn't letting the stall fully develop.

I ususally fly pretty close in, which was making my figures pretty tight - spreading them out as you did will help have some nice clean lines between manuevers, and give my brain a bit of time to focus .

Again, greatly appreciate the effort

Thanks. Fortunately since I don't have a lot of editing time we did that in one take. It was a good test of the "script" idea since I hadn't done the basic yet this year! That was actually a "tight" IMAC sequence. The 40% planes will use twice or more of that airspace. I think some spread it out too much. There used to be a "box" like in IAC. The hope was to "tighten" it up but pilots spread it out. Hence the "airspace control score".
Setup is crucial to flying precisely. Spend time to setup ALL your planes.
Let me know if I can do anything else.
I plan to do another with the gasser and the Sportsman. I'll discuss some more scoring and judging.

Last edited by a moderator: