• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

alawson999

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION]

I love my PA airframes, I have had several, many now in airplane paradise.

You are correct on all counts.

PA is a general purpose design that does 3d very well, and can also fly traditional IMAC or F3a patterns.

Short fuse relative to wing span, and very light wing loading make it change directions very quickly - great fun, but not what you want for IMAC or F3A.

Also, really hard to get it to stall - it sorta auto elevators, making the 1 1/2 spin at the end of basic require a little control nudge to get a break.

I do fly IMAC for fun with my ADDY, but would not try to compete with it.

Just one guys opinion, others views are respected and valued

Alan

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hello,
In an effort to keep this thread alive and promote precision flying which IMHO is the solid foundation to any quality 3D and XA flying (it's what separates "huckers" from "pilots", not that a good huck isn't fun!) I wanted to link a playlist I'm building on IMAC videos. Some are my own but there are others too.
The purpose of my videos is to not only critique the flying but show how the relationship of pilot/ caller requires practice and good communication, for "known" and "unknown" sequences. I hope it allows you to get a feel for IMAC type flying and how practice sessions go.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWVsTAi2oh6AiHr9HuuquFTqo-V0qstE

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Hello,
In an effort to keep this thread alive and promote precision flying which IMHO is the solid foundation to any quality 3D and XA flying (it's what separates "huckers" from "pilots", not that a good huck isn't fun!) I wanted to link a playlist I'm building on IMAC videos. Some are my own but there are others too.
The purpose of my videos is to not only critique the flying but show how the relationship of pilot/ caller requires practice and good communication, for "known" and "unknown" sequences. I hope it allows you to get a feel for IMAC type flying and how practice sessions go.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWVsTAi2oh6AiHr9HuuquFTqo-V0qstE

I like that statement. I've been trying to promote precision flying BEFORE 3d at my club and among friends, but it just seems so many people just want to bypass 'piloting' and just 'huck'. At this point I've thrown in the towel, I give up, maybe I'm not persuasive enough because I haven't had any luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

syzyguy

50cc
I like that statement. I've been trying to promote precision flying BEFORE 3d at my club and among friends, but it just seems so many people just want to bypass 'piloting' and just 'huck'. At this point I've thrown in the towel, I give up, maybe I'm not persuasive enough because I haven't had any luck.

I agree 100% -- once I started doing IMAC routines and being precise my 3D got better and looked a lot more "put together".

dth7

The thing that gets me the most is just taking a few minutes per flight to fly deliberately and fly some wind corrected lines and use rudder, put the plane where you want it instead of reacting at what it did! Pilots would A. Enjoy flying in all weather (not running at wind above 5mph or blaming faults and crashes on "must have been a gust or the dreaded tip stall". Instead telling the truth, oops, I just screwed up. And B. Crash or tear off gear much less often.
Hey, to each his or her own. It is a hobby and if futzing, fixing and excuses are fun for them then knock yourself out. I know and have seen the truth about the results. It's not rocket science just a little bit of discipline is all. Hell, I love to just "huck" once in a while too but it's "controlled hucking" not "Lucking"!!!! Don't give up, keep
After them but still keep it fun. Challenge them to full flight line straight and level passes for a buck. Bet you'll win a couple coffees!

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
The thing that gets me the most is just taking a few minutes per flight to fly deliberately and fly some wind corrected lines and use rudder, put the plane where you want it instead of reacting at what it did! Pilots would A. Enjoy flying in all weather (not running at wind above 5mph or blaming faults and crashes on "must have been a gust or the dreaded tip stall". Instead telling the truth, oops, I just screwed up. And B. Crash or tear off gear much less often.
Hey, to each his or her own. It is a hobby and if futzing, fixing and excuses are fun for them then knock yourself out. I know and have seen the truth about the results. It's not rocket science just a little bit of discipline is all. Hell, I love to just "huck" once in a while too but it's "controlled hucking" not "Lucking"!!!! Don't give up, keep
After them but still keep it fun. Challenge them to full flight line straight and level passes for a buck. Bet you'll win a couple coffees!

Hahaha, that's funny, but true.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Daren - thanks for the vids, will absorb these slowly.

I continue to work on my precision flying.

Found a new flying field that is much more open ( no trees) and allows bigger airplanes.

Probably don't yet have the ideal airframe for IMAC , but making progress with a Carbon Z Yak and a 1 meter f3a airframe.

Agree that while many admire precision, most won't make the effort.

Two small stories - one friend shows me an aresti diagram in a magazine, and says " what the heck is this gibberish?", I walked him thru about half the figures with "hand flying". I might have a convert.

I was practicing stalls and spins, still can't get a clean break, but getting pretty precise on the spins. Moderately windy, so the stall looks like zero ground speed. I hear a voice from the pits say " oh no, he is going to crash", I did 3 spins and a smooth exit to the intended heading. I admit a little ego boost that day.

Since I don't have anyone to help me learn "in person", your vids are valuable, please keep them coming

dth7

Daren - thanks for the vids, will absorb these slowly.

I continue to work on my precision flying.

Found a new flying field that is much more open ( no trees) and allows bigger airplanes.

Probably don't yet have the ideal airframe for IMAC , but making progress with a Carbon Z Yak and a 1 meter f3a airframe.

Agree that while many admire precision, most won't make the effort.

Two small stories - one friend shows me an aresti diagram in a magazine, and says " what the heck is this gibberish?", I walked him thru about half the figures with "hand flying". I might have a convert.

I was practicing stalls and spins, still can't get a clean break, but getting pretty precise on the spins. Moderately windy, so the stall looks like zero ground speed. I hear a voice from the pits say " oh no, he is going to crash", I did 3 spins and a smooth exit to the intended heading. I admit a little ego boost that day.

Since I don't have anyone to help me learn "in person", your vids are valuable, please keep them coming

Hey [MENTION=1100]alawson999[/MENTION] thanks a lot. It's the way I live my past life vicariously through the models. I did just finish up a Stinger 90 large EDF. I have a fun distraction with the EDFs. I'm VP at one club that's for jets and giants. The boys want me to get turbines! I'll stick to the Giants and EDFs for now. Now they can let me pull on their turbines anytime.
Good stories and keep at it. You all ready know the benefits. Nice job paying it forward to those interested.
Can't wait to finish my 91 extra and start practicing the Intermediate for this year.
Thanks again.

Bipenut53

150cc
Ok so this is great info [MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION]
and all who has commented here. I have been looking for IMAC info and videos for a long time. I agree precision aerobatics is a great foundation and has to be the starting point for flying more aggressive aerobatics. I live in a very rural part of Washington state and we have no club but we are a bunch of guys who just enjoy flying. Our flying gets a bit on the stale side because we have no IMAC type of people flying with us to expand or challenge our skills. I have been to several events in the past and have had some precious learning time with better pilots. I wish I had someone here that would get interested in IMAC so we could call for each other. I need to figure out a way of challenging myself to fly more precision. I will keep watching your videos. Thanks!!

alawson999

70cc twin V2
A suggestion

Think like a 10 year old

Think - betcha I can do 3 consecutive loops that are exactly on top of each other.

Got that, repeat with outside loops

Got that?

Try for consecutive super imposed reverse half Cuban 8 s

Got that?

Try inverted reverse Cuban 8s

Then stall spin combos

Etc

If you have a couple of guys gently competing to "one up" the others, even better.

I know it ain't IMAC, but the skills are the same