• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I have the power! ...or do I?

Patroller

70cc twin V2
So, for example on the AR9110 PowerSafe, it has battery leads... but I already have the Smartfly system... so wouldn't that be redundant? What about the AR9020 which is full range with 2 sats? I already have an AR8000 too, which has never been opened.
Yes it would be redundant, and I think not even comparable. The powersafe rx is all you need.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
So, for example on the AR9110 PowerSafe, it has battery leads... but I already have the Smartfly system... so wouldn't that be redundant? What about the AR9020 which is full range with 2 sats? I already have an AR8000 too, which has never been opened.
With the DX8 you will need the EQ6, so stay with that setup. You will need 9 channels to run your plane.
4-ailerons
2-elevators
1-rudder
1-throttle
1-ignition kill

With the EQ6, you will be able to do this easily. If you had a 9 or more channel radio, then the easiest is a Powersafe RX with 2 batteries and an IBEC. Your setup will work just fine.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
The AR9020 would also work. It just does not allow you to connect two batteries. You could use the smartly with that.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I guess the only difference between the 7954 and 7955 is that the 55 has a titanium gear it looks like... and the 7954 has an HV coreless motor.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
With the DX8 you will need the EQ6, so stay with that setup. You will need 9 channels to run your plane.
4-ailerons
2-elevators
1-rudder
1-throttle
1-ignition kill

With the EQ6, you will be able to do this easily. If you had a 9 or more channel radio, then the easiest is a Powersafe RX with 2 batteries and an IBEC. Your setup will work just fine.

Cool man! Thanks! I guess the only reason I started second guessing my AR8000 is because I read some horror story about signal loss and I thought, "Do I need 2 satellites?"... that kind of deal.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
The AR9020 would also work. It just does not allow you to connect two batteries. You could use the smartly with that.

Okay... Well I do like the added RX Sat with that receiver and it's not that much... but yea, I like the SmartFly and as Ericb said... I have to have it for all the servos going to my DX8 transmitter.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
4-ailerons
2-elevators
1-rudder
1-throttle
1-ignition kill

Yep, I forgot about the channel count. It's been awhile since I used my DX8 since upgrading to the 18.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
You won't worry about more sattelites unless you use a data logger or telemetry, the more satellites the fewer signal losses or holds. Its a scary fact that these things have even millisecond holds in a flight. Started with two, then added 3rd then 4th.
Use JR power safe 12 , dx-8 and intelli/booma match boxes all HV hitech. Fromeco 5200x2 on a wolverine batt share switch in two different 40%ers, same set up except JR matchboxes in older plane , and can put in entire weekend of IMAC competition without worrying about charging. Fromeco power up cricket is good safe measure for keeping voltage constant also.
Eq6 is good choice , stick with it.
Pull pull if cg needs to be forward, dual push pull is easier to set up and plenty powerful if balance allows you to put em back that far.

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Since you're stepping up to a larger plane, I suggest you step up to a better radio.

Now that someone else said it I was thinking the same thing. Sell the smart fly and bump up to a DX18 with a power safe RX. Never worry about switches, regulators, batt shares and all that junk again.