• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I have the power! ...or do I?

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I just got my first 100cc bird for the upcoming IMAC season. I bought a PAU 35% Extra 300SP, and it.. is... gorgeous... It's built, but never been cranked or flown... Here are the specs:
DA-120
Smartfly Eq6
Futuba 9157 servos on elevators and throttle
JR 8711HV on rudder

Here are my questions: I use a DX8 for radio, and have a Spektrum AR8000 RX NIB. I thought I knew what I was going to do for RX, Batteries, and aileron servos, but now I'm not sure after reading some stuff.

My plan for aileron servos is to install 4 Hitec HS-7954HS servos. I've always been a Hitec guy.

Question 1: Is the AR8000 adequate for a 100cc plane or should I go with a AR9020 with Dual Satellites as opposed to 1 on the AR8000? On a larger plane does having more satellite receivers have merit? I know the Futaba guys use 2 receivers... so I didn't know if I should sort of duplicate that.

Question 2: I read some horror stories about wrong voltage causing crashes... I was thinking of either going with 2 Life Source LiFe 6.6V 3200mAh 10C or 2 Fromeco Relion 7.4v 5200mah batteries plugged into the EQ6. Also for DA-120 ignition I plan on using a Hydrimax 3200mah 4 cell 4.8V battery Are these good choices?

Question 3: The rudder is pull/pull currently with a single JR 8711HV servo, which the manual says to either use this servo or dual servos equaling 400oz. I am primarily an IMAC guy, but want to prepare for 3D so is this adequate for the rudder or should I install dual pull/pull or even go to dual push/pull (there are servo spaces in the tail for push/pull).

I'm just brand new to these really big planes, and I want to make sure I'm not just doing what's okay, or I can get by with, but what's right. Would love some help!

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
1. AR8000 will work just fine if you are using the EQ6.

2. I personally would not use the Life Source Life batteries in a 100CC plane. I love the Relion's, but your servos are not all rated for High Voltage. If you don't have the EQ6 yet, you could get the EQ6 Turbo Plus. That has a built in regulator. As far as ignition goes, I would NOT recommend the Hydrimax batteries. I have had too many issues in the past with them. The easiest way is to get a Tech-Aero IBEC. That will do a couple of things for you. It will power the ignition, and it is your kill switch.

3. 8711 should be fine for rudder. If the balance will handle it, I like putting the servo in the tail. That is a good solid link to the rudder.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I second the "toss the hydrimax as far as you can out into the weeds!!!!! And then run!

7954's are high voltage though, and work well with both HV and standard voltage. I also recommend the Tech Aero but I have no experience at all with smart-fly since I use all 9-12 channel power safe RX's.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I have had the EQ6 and it worked great. I now use 9 or 12 channel power safe RX's, but with the DX8 you will need more channels thus the need for the EQ6. The Futaba servos are not rated for HV so I am not sure on those for voltage.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Okay. Here's a photo of the EQ6 that's in it. It's the same as the one I have in my 96" Mustang with an AR8000. It says "Super Reg" but I don't know if it's turbo. It has an optical kill switch hooked up to it as well... I've never liked the idea of having my RX batts and Ignition batt as the same thing... I kind of feel like they should be isolated. Won't the EQ6 regulate power to all servos or should I swap out the Futabas as well?

Attachments

• IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 315

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I have a Hydrimax 2000mah ignition battery in my 50cc Extra 300 (which is my profile picture). What ignition batts do ya'll like?

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I have a Hydrimax 2000mah ignition battery in my 50cc Extra 300 (which is my profile picture). What ignition batts do ya'll like?
No ignition battery. I use the tech-aero IBEC. Looks like you have an ignition cutoff on the eq6. Is that correct?

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Yea, I have the ignition cutoff... so the IBEC goes from the EQ6 to where the ignition battery would plug into that cutoff? What batts do you recommend?

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Personally love the Fromeco for RX power. I would use a lipo on the ignition then.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Yea, I have the ignition cutoff... so the IBEC goes from the EQ6 to where the ignition battery would plug into that cutoff? What batts do you recommend?
The IBEC takes the place of the ignition battery and the ignition cutoff. Plugs into the RX and acts as your kill switch and powers the ignition.