• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I finished the baffling tonight. It turned out okay. The next one I do will be better, but this one should be plenty functional.

My workshop looks like a Nerf bomb went off.:lol2:

20170712_230000_resized.jpg
20170712_225956_resized.jpg
20170712_225950_resized.jpg

BalsaDust

I got the motor slightly used, but the idiot used Loctite on the prop bolts. One was broken when I got it. I was able to get the other ones out. That motor I think was due for updates anyway so after talking to Colton I just sent it in. I've never sent in a DA before so it's a new experience. :)

I'll have to count the rudder hinges. I've pulled pretty hard on it. If it comes off I'll robart it but I think for now I'll leave it and keep an eye on it.

It's called heat there little buddy, just a little bit of heat will soften the loctite back up.

capthis

70cc twin V2
It's called heat there little buddy, just a little bit of heat will soften the loctite back up.

Oh no ****? In all my years of working on stuff I didn't know that.....

Dude I didn't break it, it was broke when I got it.

Heat works great, working a bolt back and fourth a little at a time usually works well too.

Chris, you must think I am really quite dumb from all your well intentioned advice over the last year?

Last edited:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I got the motor slightly used, but the idiot used Loctite on the prop bolts.

Someone was telling me one time that red loctite needs to be used on like materials (so steel bolts to steel threads, aluminum to aluminum, etc.) otherwise it can turn acidic and freeze the 2 different materials right to each other. I don't know how true that is but the information was passed to me by someone I know has a lot more knowledge about everything hobby related than I do. It's possible that's what happened to you, someone used red loctite and it caused the steel bolts to seize into the aluminum hub.

BalsaDust

Someone was telling me one time that red loctite needs to be used on like materials (so steel bolts to steel threads, aluminum to aluminum, etc.) otherwise it can turn acidic and freeze the 2 different materials right to each other. I don't know how true that is but the information was passed to me by someone I know has a lot more knowledge about everything hobby related than I do. It's possible that's what happened to you, someone used red loctite and it caused the steel bolts to seize into the aluminum hub.

That is possible but I have never heard that. Biggest difference is the red Loctite is pretty much permanent without heat being applied to it to remove the bolts.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not one hundred percent sure it has been a while, but if you read up on locktite it will tel you not to use red on anything under 1/4 inch because it will be permanent and you will break the bolt trying to remove it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I got a few more things accomplished last night. I made a choke lever so I can just reach through the hole in the front of the cowl to set the choke. I used some BVM Poly Ply I had laying around and CA'd three pieces together for thickness and cut a slot in the back end to slide over the shaft and shaped the main part. I then used a 2-56 and a locknut to hold it on.

20170713_201352_resized.jpg

I'm using Secraft wing bolts. They don't fit the Chinese blind nuts in the wings very well, they're pretty sloppy, so I JB Welded them in. I also drilled a #55 hole in them to accept a hitch pin, I did this on my Pilot Edge and it has worked great. The Secraft nuts spin on super easy, which means if they should happen loosen up in flight they would spin off easy too, but the hitch pin stops that and only takes a second to install during assembly at the field.

I also had to do a little fiddling to make the hatch bolt on, The holes didn't align very well with the blind nuts so I took care of that. I don't need any more hatch blind nut issues. :(

The plan is to maiden it Sunday morning. I still have quite a few things to do, but I have tonight and most of the day tomorrow to do them. I want to weigh it, balance it, set the throws, match the aileron servos, balance the prop, test run it and mount the batteries. I'm hoping it will not be tail heavy, since I really want to mount the batteries next to the receiver in the rear of the hatch opening so they'll be easy to take out to charge. Unfortunately I don't have room at home to put the wings on, so I'll need to do a lot of it at my shop.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I got a few more things accomplished last night. I made a choke lever so I can just reach through the hole in the front of the cowl to set the choke. I used some BVM Poly Ply I had laying around and CA'd three pieces together for thickness and cut a slot in the back end to slide over the shaft and shaped the main part. I then used a 2-56 and a locknut to hold it on.

View attachment 97463

I'm using Secraft wing bolts. They don't fit the Chinese blind nuts in the wings very well, they're pretty sloppy, so I JB Welded them in. I also drilled a #55 hole in them to accept a hitch pin, I did this on my Pilot Edge and it has worked great. The Secraft nuts spin on super easy, which means if they should happen loosen up in flight they would spin off easy too, but the hitch pin stops that and only takes a second to install during assembly at the field.

I also had to do a little fiddling to make the hatch bolt on, The holes didn't align very well with the blind nuts so I took care of that. I don't need any more hatch blind nut issues. :(

The plan is to maiden it Sunday morning. I still have quite a few things to do, but I have tonight and most of the day tomorrow to do them. I want to weigh it, balance it, set the throws, match the aileron servos, balance the prop, test run it and mount the batteries. I'm hoping it will not be tail heavy, since I really want to mount the batteries next to the receiver in the rear of the hatch opening so they'll be easy to take out to charge. Unfortunately I don't have room at home to put the wings on, so I'll need to do a lot of it at my shop.

Must say it looks like you have your head down and just working away at it. It is looking good that yellow tape stands out and looks good I must remember to use steam sealing tape in the future it better than the standard white stuff. Sunday is coming up fast hope you have a good day. All the best.