• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night I bolted my 12 pound weight to the firewall. Okay it's 12 ounces, but in my mind it may as well be pounds. I had to take the motor and cans off to do it, but luckily the cans slide right out of the mount while still bolted too the motor. I noticed the Chinese plywood firewall was already compressing from bolting the motor on and the bolts that were tight and Loctited were somewhat loose already. So, they're getting Ny-Lock nuts on the back of the blind nuts.

Tonight I need to work on mounting the batteries and building extensions for them, then it's back on the balancer.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night I bolted my 12 pound weight to the firewall. Okay it's 12 ounces, but in my mind it may as well be pounds. I had to take the motor and cans off to do it, but luckily the cans slide right out of the mount while still bolted too the motor. I noticed the Chinese plywood firewall was already compressing from bolting the motor on and the bolts that were tight and Loctited were somewhat loose already. So, they're getting Ny-Lock nuts on the back of the blind nuts.

Tonight I need to work on mounting the batteries and building extensions for them, then it's back on the balancer.

Do you think the cans added to the tail heavy situation. Or is the plane just tail heavy anyway.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

If I may suggest a way to help prevent the compressing the wood.
Let's assume that the bolt you are using is 1/4 inch. What I do then is I drill and tap the holes in the firewall with 3/8nc. Take a aluminum 3/8 bolt and then cut a piece of the threaded end 0.020 less than the firewall thickness. Drill the 3/8 aluminum bolt out with a 1/4 drill. (The threaded part.) now take this small threaded sleeve and coat it in epoxy and thread it in to the firewall. Center it. Now when you mount your motor you can tighten the bolts up and only compress the wood 0.020 inches and then you will hard against the aluminum tube and with that amount of compression the motor is sold. Done it a few times and it has worked for me hope this helps.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Tonight I added some Nylock nuts behind the blind nuts on the engine mount bolts. I also made the battery mounts and epoxied them in. I ordered some battery straps that were supposed to be 200mm long, but are 280mm long. :( I have one strap that is the right length, but I'll need to rig something up for the other side to fly it Sunday with what I have until I can get some others.

I also included some pictures of the weight.

20170719_201643_resized.jpg
20170719_201653_resized.jpg
20170719_224756_resized.jpg
20170719_224800_resized.jpg
20170719_225217_resized.jpg
20170719_225408_resized.jpg

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I'm hoping that the weather cooperates at least a little on Sunday. The forecast for the next few days is 101, 103 and 105. Sunday is supposed to cool down to 95, if you can call that cooling down, but there could be thunderstorms.
It is supposed to be an oven around here this weekend too. I hate flying when sweat is running in your eyes and burning. Takes the enjoyment out of it. Fortunately we can morning fly at one field so that is super nice.