• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
NICELY DONE!!!! I just built a Hempel 260 with a one piece cowl and was swearing at it. First time I've had a non-split cowl in a long time. Then swearing at the baffling for two hours......thinking to myself the entire time, I should have just split it:oblong:
Thanks Terry! I've been stealing a lot of your techniques assembling this airplane. Thanks again for posting all the "How To" videos, it helps a lot when you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

We miss your build threads here at GSN. I follow your stuff on Facebook, but things there get buried so fast.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
NICELY DONE!!!! I just built a Hempel 260 with a one piece cowl and was swearing at it. First time I've had a non-split cowl in a long time. Then swearing at the baffling for two hours......thinking to myself the entire time, I should have just split it:oblong:

What size 260 Terry?

BalsaDust

Yeah I'm getting ready to pick up a 3DHS 75" extra to put my VVRC 40cc twin on and wondering if it would be worth it even on that small cowl to split it so I can easily baffle it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Terry! I've been stealing a lot of your techniques assembling this airplane. Thanks again for posting all the "How To" videos, it helps a lot when you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

We miss your build threads here at GSN. I follow your stuff on Facebook, but things there get buried so fast.

Thanks man, hoping to start a new thread here in a few weeks on a brand new ARF coming out. Checking out the layout of things on this "new" site. You guy's redecorated a bit!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks man, hoping to start a new thread here in a few weeks on a brand new ARF coming out. Checking out the layout of things on this "new" site. You guy's redecorated a bit!
Cool!
If you go down to towards the bottom of the page there is a narrow bar that has "Contact us" "Terms and Rules" and things like that, on the left side of the you can choose between the Classic layout and the GiantScaleNews 1514 layout. The Classic is probably what you used to. I'm old school I still use it.:)

capthis

70cc twin V2
I have been emailing back and fourth with Horizon about my airplane. I was told the bulge around the wing tube was present on all the wings. "It is the piece that spreads the pressure under a hard load to a wider section of the wing so the wing can't fold under hard G. It is a little unsightly but a must with this wing design and will not affect the flight at all but is not super clean looking either "

I can live with the wings, but none of my Carden wings have any bulges..... (jus saying) I have pulled on my rudder and it seems pretty well attached??? My stabs look ok, and although I received a new canopy it looks worse than the first. :( I have been considering pulling the covering on bottom of the fuse and installing some diagonal braces to help stiffen up the tail. It seems to have a little twist to it that I am just not accustomed too. (Again my Cardens don't do that)

I sent my DA 120 in finally this week for a broken prop hub bolt (I didn't do it) and I hope to get back on this airplane and finish it up. I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of it especially since I shelled out very hard earned bucks for it....

I have not tried to be too picky as it is just an ARF, but there's things with it I know I could build better myself. Maybe I am too picky IDK? I sure hope it flies well!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I have been emailing back and fourth with Horizon about my airplane. I was told the bulge around the wing tube was present on all the wings. "It is the piece that spreads the pressure under a hard load to a wider section of the wing so the wing can't fold under hard G. It is a little unsightly but a must with this wing design and will not affect the flight at all but is not super clean looking either "

I can live with the wings, but none of my Carden wings have any bulges..... (jus saying) I have pulled on my rudder and it seems pretty well attached??? My stabs look ok, and although I received a new canopy it looks worse than the first. :( I have been considering pulling the covering on bottom of the fuse and installing some diagonal braces to help stiffen up the tail. It seems to have a little twist to it that I am just not accustomed too. (Again my Cardens don't do that)

I sent my DA 120 in finally this week for a broken prop hub bolt (I didn't do it) and I hope to get back on this airplane and finish it up. I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of it especially since I shelled out very hard earned bucks for it....

I have not tried to be too picky as it is just an ARF, but there's things with it I know I could build better myself. Maybe I am too picky IDK? I sure hope it flies well!
My original wings had the lump on the bottom of the left wing, the right was fine. It sounded to me like they had to go through a lot of wings to find some good ones for me. The ones I have now are pretty much lump free.

How many rudder hinges does your have? Originally mine had 4. The new rudder had 6 forcing me to rehinge. I ended up with 7 Robert hinges.

I dug three broken prop bolts out of a DA200 at the field once with a small pick I had in my box, and tiny hammer I found in the Quonset hut where we keep the mowers. That took awhile.

As far as being picky, you should be. You paid as much for that airplane as you would for several other brands. The quality should be at least as good as the others. Wanting your money's worth is not being picky in my opinion.

capthis

70cc twin V2
I got the motor slightly used, but the idiot used Loctite on the prop bolts. One was broken when I got it. I was able to get the other ones out. That motor I think was due for updates anyway so after talking to Colton I just sent it in. I've never sent in a DA before so it's a new experience. :)

I'll have to count the rudder hinges. I've pulled pretty hard on it. If it comes off I'll robart it but I think for now I'll leave it and keep an eye on it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I got the motor slightly used, but the idiot used Loctite on the prop bolts. One was broken when I got it. I was able to get the other ones out. That motor I think was due for updates anyway so after talking to Colton I just sent it in. I've never sent in a DA before so it's a new experience. :)

I'll have to count the rudder hinges. I've pulled pretty hard on it. If it comes off I'll robart it but I think for now I'll leave it and keep an eye on it.
I sent the DA50 that was on my Yak in a few years ago after I tried to drill for oil with it under power. The stainless header was mashed against the the fins on the head so hard the tuned pipe looked like an accordion, but it didn't even leave a mark on them. They did change the prop hub because it had more run out than they were comfortable with. I had them go through the carb while it was there and I think the bill for everything but shipping was like $35.

0513121333.jpg
0516120835a.jpg

The wings and stabs lived on after some work and modification to become this.

20170625_101530_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
They are stainless 4-40 button heads that I colored with a Sharpie. If you look close at the pictures, in one shot the have no washers and in the other they have small nylon washers. I haven't decided what the finished product will be. My buddy Tony never runs washers and the always look perfect and never come loose. I ran nylon washers on my Carf Extra and they would loosen up now and then.
One thing I know is that nylon will never stop changing shape. What I am trying to explain is if you hang a load on nylon it will stretch for ever (with in reason).