• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I moved the airplane out into the family room tonight. Getting a complete basically ready to fly 35% fuselage out of my workshop is not easy.:confused:

Tomorrow I'm taking it to my shop to so I can assemble it where I have room, and air conditioning. I still need to adjust the throws, match the aileron servos, balance it, test run it and weigh it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I meant to post these pictures of how I did my wing bolts the other night.

20170714_213203_resized.jpg
20170714_213156_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Today I took the Extra to my shop so I could work on it in the AC and have room to assemble it. My plan was to finish the radio programing, set the throws, match the ailerons, weigh it, balance it, and test run it.

Well, I had never had the stabs completely bolted on so I tackled that first. It took me over a half hour to get the right stab on. The holes were not even close, and the hole for the wiring was screwed up as well. I also wanted to get rid of all the factory bolts because they aren't truly 4-40's, there a Chinese machinists idea of 4-40's. The problem with that is a real 4-40 wont fit through some of the ball link balls.:mad:

After lunch a friend came by and helped me set it on the balancer. It's crazy tail heavy.:cryin: Even if I move the LiPo's as far forward as I can get them and still get them out for charging it will need 12.1 ounces at the front of the firewall to balance. :face-palm:

I also weighed it. Just like it sits now before adding any weight it weighs 29.74 pounds, so after adding weight I'll be at 30.5 pounds. :ugh!:

That pretty much took the wind out of my sails. Just not enough time to make battery mounts and a weight and extensions for the LiPo's with wire I don't have. So, the batteries are charged in the Edge and I'm taking it tomorrow. If it gives me as much trouble trying to get it started as it did last Sunday we may be having a big sale around here.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Today I took the Extra to my shop so I could work on it in the AC and have room to assemble it. My plan was to finish the radio programing, set the throws, match the ailerons, weigh it, balance it, and test run it.

Well, I had never had the stabs completely bolted on so I tackled that first. It took me over a half hour to get the right stab on. The holes were not even close, and the hole for the wiring was screwed up as well. I also wanted to get rid of all the factory bolts because they aren't truly 4-40's, there a Chinese machinists idea of 4-40's. The problem with that is a real 4-40 wont fit through some of the ball link balls.:mad:

After lunch a friend came by and helped me set it on the balancer. It's crazy tail heavy.:cryin: Even if I move the LiPo's as far forward as I can get them and still get them out for charging it will need 12.1 ounces at the front of the firewall to balance. :face-palm:

I also weighed it. Just like it sits now before adding any weight it weighs 29.74 pounds, so after adding weight I'll be at 30.5 pounds. :ugh!:

That pretty much took the wind out of my sails. Just not enough time to make battery mounts and a weight and extensions for the LiPo's with wire I don't have. So, the batteries are charged in the Edge and I'm taking it tomorrow. If it gives me as much trouble trying to get it started as it did last Sunday we may be having a big sale around here.
About everything that could have gone wrong with that plane has it seems. It is amazing how poorly everything was built and reminds me of some of those cheap nitro plane cmp arfs and even those probably fit up better than the issues you have had. Such a good looking plane though.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just can not believe that the plane has that many problems. You must wonder if they or the factory had ever assembled one of these planes. Or even when the plane arrived in the USA did enyone in HH take the time to assemble one and check it out or is this normal to them now.
Looking at the plane it does look goood maybe they spent most of the budget on the looks ie covering and cut back on the structure and hardware. From what you have gone through if I had a choice I would prefer to buy the plane with no hardware and covering and get top notch ARC plane and leave the rest to me. Must admit that the covering schemes are getting very elaborate and I bet to much of the cost is being diverted into it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I turns out if I moved some stuff around I could get the wings on the Extra in my family room. Tonight I worked on matching the aileron servos. I still have a little to do on the left wing using the Balance feature on my radio which I've never used before, but I think I've got the hang of it so it's close, the right wing is done.

20170717_202609_resized.jpg

Today at work I made a weight for the firewall to balance this thing. The thought of having to add 12 ounces to the front of this thing makes me ill.

20170717_222515_resized.jpg