• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I made quite a bit of progress the last few days. I installed the gear, axles, wheels, and wheel pants. I've been using #6 bonded washers on 4-40 bolts to hold my wheel pants on for several years now and it's worked out great. I've never had one come loose, and they have just a little bit of flex to them which is great when you accidentally kick one.:oblong:

The engine is in and throttle linkage is done and adjusted. The headers are wrapped with gas pipe tape. I ran small servo screws through the couplers into the headers and canisters and the exhaust is sealed and installed.

I decided last night it was time to split the cowl. I masked a cut line and took a razor saw to it. Today after I came back from the field I masked the edges with 1/2" Finelines tape, and then wrapped some gloss clear Scotch tape around the outside edge and into the inside on the top section. I also added more Scotch tape on the inside of the top. I wiped some Vaseline on the clear tape so no Resin would stick to it. I then taped the two halves together on the outside and started glassing. Hopefully tomorrow it will come apart

20170708_200350_resized.jpg
20170709_162021_resized.jpg
20170708_212055_resized.jpg
20170708_214717_resized.jpg
20170708_220311_resized.jpg
20170709_175156_resized.jpg
20170709_174728_resized.jpg
20170709_175455_resized.jpg
20170709_193601_resized.jpg
20170709_195120_resized.jpg
20170709_195115_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That looks good how much Fiberglas did you use or in other words how many oz cloth did you use and how many layers.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
That looks good how much Fiberglas did you use or in other words how many oz cloth did you use and how many layers.
I think what I used was 4oz and it's 2 layers. It was all I had other than 1.5 oz and 3/4 oz. I used what I had laying around and I had just enough to do it. Hopefully it will be stiff enough, but if not, adding more to the back side once it's apart should be easy. Time will tell.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Doug, been doing some catch up on some of the threads. Your Extra is actually coming along "QUITE" nicely. I really like what you are doing with all the "fixes". Especially the cowl. I really need to have you teach me out to do this. I would really like to split the cowl on the new Behemoth Yak. But I am so afraid of screwing it up. Also, I now see how that tank mount works. That is pretty slick. Where did you get that? The GSN Give away Extra may have had some issues out of the box. But it is plane (pun intended) to see it will have no issues on maiden day. Way to go.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Doug, been doing some catch up on some of the threads. Your Extra is actually coming along "QUITE" nicely. I really like what you are doing with all the "fixes". Especially the cowl. I really need to have you teach me out to do this. I would really like to split the cowl on the new Behemoth Yak. But I am so afraid of screwing it up. Also, I now see how that tank mount works. That is pretty slick. Where did you get that? The GSN Give away Extra may have had some issues out of the box. But it is plane (pun intended) to see it will have no issues on maiden day. Way to go.

Thanks Rob!
Here is the real master on cowl splitting.
https://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/splitting-cowls-made-easy.1827/

The tank mount came from 3DRC Hobbies.

BalsaDust

Yup I split the cowl on a buddys Hangar 9 33% edge using Terry's method. I was nervous but it worked great. I think I just used one layer of the cloth you get at lowes and it has held up good. Laid it in there and I didn't have any finishing resin to use so I just took some 30 minute epoxy and thinned it down like you would do when sealing a firewall. My buddy doesn't have many flights on the plane yet but he hasn't had any troubles.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Man that looks good clean and all came apart with no problems. When I see how you did it and the out come I am sure going to give it a go. It is so much easier to work with a split cowl. Nice work.