• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Well, I was very fortunate, I received a message from a willing experienced Carden builder, and now I got some great tips for this step. As Snoopy stated, measure twice and glue once. Well, we will measure two, three, 4 times, and so forth before we glue... ;)

Ok, here is the end result of the conversation with Dean:
1. be sure that the F6 is tapered and then clamped in place:

IMG_0848.JPG

2. then, use not only the phenolic but also the actual wing tube, to make the alignment of the right and left tube supports in place. This will help prevent any bend in the phenolic.

3. Then measure and glue and clamp the wing tube supports in place, however, to assure that the wing tube is square to the table /fuselage.

I used a caliper, to measure the right and left side distance to the table:
before making adjustments:

one was 94.08 mm off the table, the other side was 94.48 mm
IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

after making adjustments and applying the glue:

the right side is 94.3 mm
IMG_0851.JPG

the left side is 94.3 mm
IMG_0852.JPG

I also assured that the phenolic is perpendicular to the motor box side.

Thank you Dean!

Missed this thread until now @orthobird. Very good timing as after much deliberation between a PRO and the Dalton 300SP I paid Dennis my deposit for a PRO a few weeks back! It is being shipped to the UK. Will be my first giant scale build although I have built plenty of smaller models. Going to be a learning curve...

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hello @orthobird,
Thanks for the building lessons today. I've been busy with work for a while so I had to catch up to where you are now. I like the way you used zip ties to hold the squares to the motor box, formers and fuse sides. I would have never thought of that. I will have to file that little trick away for future use. I don't know if I will ever get a chance to build a Carden Pro, but I do have one of Dennis's old 50cc Extra 300 kits here that I would like to build in the next couple of years (unless I chicken out and have someone build it for me).

Keep up the AWESOME work and I'll keep watching and learning. Thanks for taking the time to share your building talents with the rest of us.

David

Hello @orthobird,
Thanks for the building lessons today. I've been busy with work for a while so I had to catch up to where you are now. I like the way you used zip ties to hold the squares to the motor box, formers and fuse sides. I would have never thought of that. I will have to file that little trick away for future use. I don't know if I will ever get a chance to build a Carden Pro, but I do have one of Dennis's old 50cc Extra 300 kits here that I would like to build in the next couple of years (unless I chicken out and have someone build it for me).

Keep up the AWESOME work and I'll keep watching and learning. Thanks for taking the time to share your building talents with the rest of us.

David

That was not my idea, I stole it from Primo.
;)

Looks great Cam, very close to what Idid to glue the fuse sides. How did you do the angle on the front end of the fuse side's?

I calculated the angle from the plans, and then transferred that to the LE of the truss, and sanded away to the line. Which really was not much to sand. Thank you, I have been using your thread as a guide for me.