• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

I was able to stack the truss and check the length. SO far, looks good:

IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG

I like the idea Primo had, to do the 2nd one over the 1st with wax paper.

Yes, it truly is an addiction, and anyone who does what we do, we are all nuts!!:epic:

Ok, great news!!
I figured it out, looking carefully at many build threads, only one demonstrated this step best. Most of the other threads, on the other forums, show the truss, then they show it all assembled and glued on!

but only one, that I could find, demonstrated this in detail.

SO i will also try to explain it. For future reference to others out there who will be doing this build for their first time.

I need to take pictures, and then I can really show it in detail.

Let me begin by saying, that I 1st obtained the top view plans, and laid them out on my flat table. Then I obtained the motor box and placed it square on the plans. Then i placed 4 right angles, from motor box side to forward side of F2, to make sure they were square.

once this step is done, I then rechecked that the motor box was square on, they I placed a 10 pound brick over the gear plate, to help keep it there.

Next step, is to sand the LE of the truss, with the angle of the Fuselage side as it meets F2.

once this is done, then this is clamped into place. All the while looking at the rear end of the truss, to make sure it was properly aligned on the plans.

next step, was to obtain the wing tube support, and position it in place with the phenolic, and then clamp it down!
Voila, that easy.

Now, I just have to mark it and then I can glue it on there. I will also mark the truss as right #1 and left #1, then when I do the other airplane, it will be marked right #2 and left #2. The motorbox will also be marked #1 and #2 respectively.

I will go back there and take pictures to illustrate all this.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This all looking very good and you are getting me very interested in the plane that I cannot transport right now. But any way just can not stop reading your thread.
Question looking at the photos is there not a hole in the motor box for the wing tube. Will this hole not determine the location for the wing tube in the truss. ?? Any way looking good and wood work looks great.

This all looking very good and you are getting me very interested in the plane that I cannot transport right now. But any way just can not stop reading your thread.
Question looking at the photos is there not a hole in the motor box for the wing tube. Will this hole not determine the location for the wing tube in the truss. ?? Any way looking good and wood work looks great.

Just got back home, I was at our club from 8:30 am til 1:30, practicing.

I finally got around to take the pictures of what I did at 5:30 am or so.

Snoopy, the motor box does have cut outs for the phenolic for the wing tube, however, the fuselage sides do not, well, not yet.
I will have to glue on the tube support, from the inside of the truss, and then later, sheet the outside of the truss, and then open up the 1/8" balsa sheeting.

It is more complicated that that, because where you glue the tube support, you have bought it, and so, everything must be perfectly lined up.

i used these right angles to assure that F2 is square to the motor box.
IMG_0842.JPG

Then, I clamped on the truss to F2, after having sanded the LE of the truss, to match the back surface of F2, since the truss is at angle relative to the motor box sides.
ALso, take special note on the position of the truss, so that back is back, and the bottom side of it, is facing the ceiling. Once it is sanded, you also want to label it, so that once it is sheeted and it is time to glue it to F2, you place the correct side on the right and left side of the motor-box, respectively...
IMG_0843.JPG

I also assure that the back of the truss is over the plans, and meets up correctly.
IMG_0844.JPG

I can then insert the tube support, and clamp it in place.
IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

I am waiting to hear from you all, if my logic is correct, I will proceed to place a thin wax paper under the wing tube support to protect the plans, and I will glue the tube support with epoxy.