• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA-70

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Another question for you guys as I did not notice this before and no mention of this in the manual. Lock washers for the prop bolts - they were not provided. Doing some searching I have seen some un-documents posts that DA does not recommend them but I have not seen this from DA. Do you use them or not?

... Terryscustom has me thinking solid maple might be better. Before I bought the Blazing Star mount for my DA-60 I used the ply like yours. "
Did the ply mount become compressed over time? I have a new DA-70 for a AJ93 Laser and am wondering if anyone has tried the Blazing Star on the DA-70. Extreme Flight lists them on their website but I've never seen one (EF says it's not the same as for the 60). I have the Blazing Star mount on a DA-60 in my EF88 Edge; it's very solid, nice looking product.

mnfatboy

50cc
I'm running a DA70 with custom cut plywood mounts. I cut them in a variety of thicknesses so you can adjust the depth. I've thought about selling them through our shop but I don't know if there really is a market for them. Everyone seems to like the bling!
e01b8e4922ae0a261eec45f0e0a9c671.jpg
5584b7d1bcb58e8a6296b9d22e7faeca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another question for you guys as I did not notice this before and no mention of this in the manual. Lock washers for the prop bolts - they were not provided. Doing some searching I have seen some un-documents posts that DA does not recommend them but I have not seen this from DA. Do you use them or not?

You probably already have this from your DA 70 manual but here it is again:
Size Torque specifications
Spark plug: CM-6, 10mm 90 in. lbs.
Steel prop bolts: M5x 45mm 65 in. lbs. / wood props, 80 in. lbs. /carbon props.
Aluminum crankcase bolts: M5x16mm 70 in. lbs. (Don’t re-use. Replace with new)
Aluminum cylinder base bolts: M5x16mm 70 in. lbs. (Don’t re-use. Replace with new)
Aluminum carb mount bolts: M5x67mm 50 in. lbs.* (Desert Aircraft item)

If you don't have a prop jig for the DA 70 get one and be sure to us a drill press or get a friend with a dill press to drill the prop for you. Since the bolts are 5mm use a 5.2mm drill bit. You can get metric drill bits from McMaster Carr. Also, when you order your 5.2mm bit order a piece of 5.2mm drillstock. Then you can cut a piece of that drillstock to about 3-4mm longer than the thickness of the prop + jig. After you drill the fist hole but the piece of drill stock into the hole then drill the other holes. You will end up with properly positioned holes. The 5mm bolts will go all the way through the prop and can be hand-tightened. NOW this is the most important part - use a torque wrench that measures in in.lbs. Torque the bolts NOT USING LOCKWASHERS to 80 in.lbs as per the above chart. You should never have loose prop again!!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Did the ply mount become compressed over time? I have a new DA-70 for a AJ93 Laser and am wondering if anyone has tried the Blazing Star on the DA-70. Extreme Flight lists them on their website but I've never seen one (EF says it's not the same as for the 60). I have the Blazing Star mount on a DA-60 in my EF88 Edge; it's very solid, nice looking product.
I did not have the ply mount on my DA60 long before going to the Blazing Star but in that period it did not compress. The maple mount on my DA70 is rock solid and has not compressed at all.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looking at my engine box I noticed the engine number to be 0135. Do the engines below 200 need to be updated with new reeds??? @DATech