• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Super Cub Kit " NIB "

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The choke ended up being the fuel gauge on the real thing. Also I did the same with the wing servo extensions.(around the back of the cabin.)

Balsa USA Cub 058.JPG
Balsa USA Cub 082.JPG

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I added a hatch to charge my batteries.

Attachments

• Balsa USA Cub 003.JPG
    Balsa USA Cub 003.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 331

fencelake

70cc twin V2

ericb,
Wow! that's a beautiful J-3! Nice work! You have some great tips in those photos! I like the hatch on the bottom in front. I'm putting in a luggage compartment (based on full scale plane) for charging and power switches, but I will always want to get to everything without forceps. I really like how you positioned the elevator servos. It's interesting that this is a 1/3 scale airplane and it's calling for 1 servo for the elevator and 1 for the rudder, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. I didn't want to just mount them on the side, and the way you have it is really nice. The choke is a great touch too! Really nice airplane! Thanks for sharing all those photos and ideas!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Being sidetracked with my own projects, I kind of forgot about this thread. Love what you are doing with this build. I can't wait to see it finished and flying.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Well, my 30 minute commute to work was a 3 HOUR commute home after being at the office for about 2 hours. It's snowing here in Ft. Worth! Once I got home I cracked a beer and worked on the cub!

The Super Cub I'm modeling after has a glass bottom door as well as the top, so to create this I pinned down the original solid door and used 1/4" x 3/8" spruce to build it. I'll add plexi-glass later.

Attachments

• Original Door Pinned.jpg
    Original Door Pinned.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 441
  • Door Pieces Gluing.jpg
    Door Pieces Gluing.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Door glued and drying.jpg
    Door glued and drying.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 447
  • Door Bottom Pinned Down.jpg
    Door Bottom Pinned Down.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 435
  • Door in Fuse 2.jpg
    Door in Fuse 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 478
  • SC4.JPG
    SC4.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 447

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I've also started on the vertical stab, rudder, stab, and elevators. I began by popping out the laminated parts for the rudder. Everything popped out nice and clean from both the plywood and the balsa. I laid out all the parts on the plan to make sure I had everything before I began gluing them. I tip of a balsa piece for the back of the rudder was broken, but that's because it popped out and was in the box... so I'll fix it after I glue everything.

Attachments

• Rudder parts out.jpg
    Rudder parts out.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Broken Rudder Back.jpg
    Broken Rudder Back.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 442

fencelake

70cc twin V2
When I started laminating the parts for the rudder, the balsa pieces were shaped slightly differently than the plywood center piece. I first went ahead and glued them trying to force them to bend the same. After a few minutes I thought about it, and wondered if I was gluing the wrong parts together so I pulled everything apart and double checked them over the plan. Sure enough, the balsa pieces are shaped according to the plan, but the plywood center pieces were not.

I decided to go ahead and pop out all the laminated parts for the stab and elevator and lay them out as well. All the pieces fell out really easily. I had to cut a few of the balsa pieces out just so that the tips wouldn't break off, but overall everything was of really nice quality.

Attachments

• Rudder Top Parts Alignment.jpg
    Rudder Top Parts Alignment.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 392
  • Rudder Back Pulled Apart.jpg
    Rudder Back Pulled Apart.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 420
  • Rudder Top Ply Alignment.jpg
    Rudder Top Ply Alignment.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 471
  • Rudder Balsa Parts Alignment.jpg
    Rudder Balsa Parts Alignment.jpg