• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Super Cub Kit " NIB "

fencelake

70cc twin V2
To solve the problem of the parts being misaligned I took a play from earlier in the build. I'm gluing one end first, and then I'll use my clamps to glue the other end to shape as it's supposed to be.

Attachments

• Rudder Top Pieces Gluing.jpg
    Rudder Top Pieces Gluing.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 358

fencelake

70cc twin V2
So now that I had all of these pieces popped out, I went ahead and turned into a lamination factory and just laminated all of them at the same time. My theory on lamination is use a lot of glue now and with sanding make it pretty later... after all, that's what they do on "How it's Made"!

I had my trusty supervisor running quality control. Miss Pearl! She's enjoying the build as well!

Attachments

• All Lam Parts.jpg
    All Lam Parts.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 406
  • Miss Pearl.jpg
    Miss Pearl.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 362

fencelake

70cc twin V2
One tip that I picked up in college when it comes to plans... and it REALLY makes a difference when you have plans this large... unroll them and roll them plan-side out. That way when you unroll them later they will lay flat and won't roll back up on you. It was a real pain when I first got this kit. I went ahead and re-rolled everything and put rubber bands on them. Now, it's so easy to use my plans when I need them.

Attachments

• Roll Plan Outside.jpg
    Roll Plan Outside.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 394

BalsaDust

pretty Lab. Trying to convince my wife to let me get either a yellow or black lab so my dog has a play buddy outside.

Attachments

• Crazy dog.jpg
    Crazy dog.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 456

fencelake

70cc twin V2
pretty Lab. Trying to convince my wife to let me get either a yellow or black lab so my dog has a play buddy outside.

Thanks! that's a great photo!! Labs are great dogs! Pearl loves to ride in the truck and comes with me to the flying field. She's very popular!

fencelake

70cc twin V2
We have Super Cub looking stuff going on!! I built the vertical stab and rudder. Of course I had to put it on the fuse and stand back for a minute and look at it.

The only thing I don't like is the butt joints around the edges. I'm sort of thinking about reinforcing them somehow... maybe some thin 1/4" strips, that don't effect the shape or something like that.

A lot of work to be done yet. I need to sand and shape everything as well as fit it properly on the fuselage. Tomorrow will be busy!

Attachments

• 017be846bc4347da71559290752f3babcffff51949.jpg
    017be846bc4347da71559290752f3babcffff51949.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 419
  • 01c8ece71e732c4f0efb4715bead372a2fd7c992a5.jpg
    01c8ece71e732c4f0efb4715bead372a2fd7c992a5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 415
  • 011d75f9c7ffe5755ff42016a85ef5e42bc6925c5c.jpg
    011d75f9c7ffe5755ff42016a85ef5e42bc6925c5c.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 412
  • Fuse with VS.jpg
    Fuse with VS.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 402

BalsaDust

Thanks! that's a great photo!! Labs are great dogs! Pearl loves to ride in the truck and comes with me to the flying field. She's very popular!

Nice yeah mine has come to the field some but she isn't a fan of the noise of the planes. She does how ever love the car or truck. Just say "Oreo wanna go for a Truck Ride?" and she will about tackle you trying to get out the door.

Cub is coming along nicely.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
More work complete this weekend. I finished the horizontal stabilizer and elevator. I'm still a little skeptical about the wooden dowel/brass tube connection, and getting everything aligned properly was a little tedious. Here's the first few pictures of construction. I had the whole plan laid out and built both parts simultaneously.

Attachments

• HOR STAB - lam pieces layout.jpg
    HOR STAB - lam pieces layout.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 445
  • ELE - Lam pieces gluing.jpg
    ELE - Lam pieces gluing.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 459
  • ELE - build frame up.jpg
    ELE - build frame up.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 428
  • STAB - build outside frame.jpg
    STAB - build outside frame.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 412
  • STAB - build photo edges.jpg
    STAB - build photo edges.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 354

fencelake

70cc twin V2
As I got into the build I found that one of the laminated pieces of the stab was a little short, so I had to add a piece of plywood to fill the gap.

Attachments

• STAB - build adding dowels.jpg
    STAB - build adding dowels.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 421
  • STAB - adding piece for short member.jpg
    STAB - adding piece for short member.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 404

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Once I built both the stab and elevators the wooden dowels have to be cut and the brass tubes installed. Making sure that everything is aligned, and there is proper spacing between the surfaces is critical. I really took my time doing all this. I had to cut one of the brass tubes a little to fit properly, but it all came together pretty straight.

Attachments

• STAB - alignment w straight edge for brass.jpg
    STAB - alignment w straight edge for brass.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 416
  • ELE - Build.jpg
    ELE - Build.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 393
  • HOR STAB - construction photo.jpg
    HOR STAB - construction photo.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 411
  • STAB - Cutting Dowls.jpg
    STAB - Cutting Dowls.jpg