• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

78'' Extra

hone

150cc
Looks like my servos came UPS after i left for work so the maiden may just happen tomorrow!!!!

hone

150cc
I dropped the servos in and drilled holes for the mounting hardware. I'll drop some thin CA in the holes before i stop by the hardware store for wood screws. The hardware for the ball links that came with the plane were a little big for the spot on RC arms but i'll pick up those in the morning too. There is a "race" of some kind going on at the club tomorrow from 9-11 so i'll wait for them to finish that before i try to maiden. Gives me all morning to put the finishing touches and check everything over one more time.

hone

150cc
3rd flight on the Extra [video=youtube;Jrn6Z43M_t0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrn6Z43M_t0[/video]

Still got some tuning and breaking in to do on the engine but it flies GREAT! I love it. After 7 minutes i had at least half a tank left :D

Rick dazzler

70cc twin V2
Great flying Joe!
Like I said the low end is a little rich so turn in some small increments..
Welcome to the world of gas! You will only go bigger from here once your hooked:)

Rick dazzler

70cc twin V2
Amen brother!!!

You better believe it! I remember hovering glow profiles years back . Then a guy pulls out a 35% carden and I said to everyone "I will never own something that large it is way to expensive" Since then I have probably built/bought/sold/traded/flown over 30 maybe more 35-40%er's .. I learn to never say never..
Said the same thing about owning a turbine jet and how I dont care for "turn and burn left turns" now I own one .. LOL.. It never fails

hone

150cc
Here are a few more pics of the final setup. One thing i to note is the elevator servo installation is shown backwards in the manual. When you install the elevator servos you want the output shaft facing the front of the plane. Photo on 2013-02-03 at 23.29.jpgPhoto on 2013-02-03 at 23.29 #2.jpgPhoto on 2013-02-03 at 23.29 #3.jpgPhoto on 2013-02-03 at 23.29 #4.jpgPhoto on 2013-02-03 at 23.32 #3.jpgPhoto on 2013-02-03 at 23.33.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Nice job Joe!

As has been said previously, you could definitely lean out your low end mixture about 1/8 turn, maybe a hair more. It also sounds like it might be sagging a bit on the top end...so you could also richen the high speed mixture about 1/8 turn.

Normally, to tune a motor like this, I start at the recommended or factory settings, then go 1/4 turn richer (very rich). Then I let it idle and advance the throttle quickly. It should respond immediately. Then lean the low speed mixture 1/8 turn and try it again, noting how it responds. It should respond quickly but it will be running rough and burbling occasionally. Keep leaning the low speed mixture until it no longer responds well...it will bog when you advance the throttle. Then go back the other way, about 1/8 turn richer than where it bogs. The idea is that it's just rich enough to respond well.

Then set the high end...Go full throttle and take a RPM reading. Lean the high speed mixture 1/8 turn and take another reading. Keep doing this until you have reached peak RPM. Then richen the mixture barely enough to have the top RPM come down 100 rpm or so.