• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

78'' Extra

hone

150cc
Got the plane and engine today! Took about 20 minutes to open the box and mock up the plane. Gotta love all the precut holes for wing/stab tubes and servo slots. This thing is HUUUUUGE. I can not wait to get to work on this one! IMG_20130107_212708.jpgIMG_20130107_215239.jpg

hone

150cc
Oh and by the way i thought i'd mention that even though everything came out of the box very quickly there is no doubt that it was well packaged. Double boxed with extra layer of protection inside. The cowl and accessories both get there own boxes to prevent damage to the cowl and keep the accessories from flying around. The wings come stored away in their very nice bag along with the wing tube and the stabs have their own bag as well. The fuselage was wrapped up and comes with a canopy cover, very nice touch! The carbon gear was out of stock but the stock aluminum gear looks great and is painted black. Unless you are trying to save every bit of weight that you can there really is no real reason to get the carbon IMO.

When i put the plane together to see what it looks like everything fit perfect. Also, the covering is very well done and the scheme looks great! I can tell this is going to be a fairly simple assembly, apart from it being my first gasser.

One thing i LOVE about all my Extreme Flight planes is they are built tough! You can tell when you are holding the plane that it's strong. You never get that feeling that you are going to break the plane just picking it up. The two carbon stringers at the bottom of the fuse are really nice and feel very strong. I doubt many people have broke this plane in the air.

I'll get more pictures and details for you guys tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

That looks awesome! Can't wait to hear/see more! Really a nice looking airframe...I'm hoping that EME works out for you, cause when I go to that size that's the engine I'd like to use!!

hone

150cc
I started working on the plane. Applied CA to all the stress points and pretty much any joint i could get to and then i put on the main landing gear.

IMG_20130108_114954.jpg

I'll probably start the hinging tomorrow but i still haven't ordered any servos yet.

I'm very impressed with the kit. The size is impressive! It's noticeably bigger than my Slick was but with the removable stabs it's easier to store :thumbup: Seems like a great deal for such a large plane at $450+shipping, especially for all this plane comes with.

Last edited by a moderator:

hone

150cc
Glued in the control horns in the stabs and hinged them both. I really like that it uses two servos for the elevator instead of a joiner because i could never get those straight. For the control horns i scuffed them up and then glued them in with 30 minute epoxy.

For the hinges i used Vaseline to lubricate the knuckle and prevent binding from epoxy getting in. I used 30 minute epoxy for this step as well. The elevators have 2 hinges that have a short end, they go closest to the fuse and are shorter so they don't interfere with the stab tube.

It looks like i'll have plenty of throw!

Photo on 2013-01-08 at 18.44.jpgPhoto on 2013-01-08 at 19.10.jpgPhoto on 2013-01-08 at 19.11.jpg