• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

econpatric

70cc twin V2
So, with so many options on the table. Which is, hands down, the best setup for 3D? I don't care about speed at all.

I would like to stay Motrolfly, but if Hacker is the way to get the job done than so be it. My limit is within the Ice 100 (I don't want to trade or buy new) and I have an option for either 8s or 6s because I already own both batteries.

Drew

70cc twin V2
So, with so many options on the table. Which is, hands down, the best setup for 3D? I don't care about speed at all.

I would like to stay Motrolfly, but if Hacker is the way to get the job done than so be it. My limit is within the Ice 100 (I don't want to trade or buy new) and I have an option for either 8s or 6s because I already own both batteries.

A lot depends on your motor choice, but personally I would go Motor-fly and a setup to run the biggest prop you can. The more air you can push over the plane in most 3D maneuvers will be best. You could even go to a 21x10 prop with the right setup like Joe runs. I would just stick with 6S packs.

gyro

GSN Contributor
For the 21x10 on 8s, I'd get a 280kv wind on the 5320. To spin the 21x10 on 6s, a 330kv would work, but your amps will require a bigger ESC, like the 120a HV ESC from ZTW... And then you have the option to switch props and now worry about over amping.

Drew

70cc twin V2
For the 21x10 on 8s, I'd get a 280kv wind on the 5320. To spin the 21x10 on 6s, a 330kv would work, but your amps will require a bigger ESC, like the 120a HV ESC from ZTW... And then you have the option to switch props and now worry about over amping.

So, running a 6S to a 8S, 6S would pull more AMPS ?? I went down in AMPS going from 8S 18x8 to a 20x10 on 6S.....Im confused Gary...lol

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
So, running a 6S to a 8S, 6S would pull more AMPS ?? I went down in AMPS going from 8S 18x8 to a 20x10 on 6S.....Im confused Gary...lol

8s pulls less amps :)

I think 6s is plenty for a 30cc plane. 8s just makes it heavier.

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Watts = Amps * Volts, so if you will pull more amps for the same power if you reduce the voltage.

If you go from 8s to 6s, your amp draw (assuming you pull the same power) will increase by one third.

Drew

70cc twin V2
Ok, now I'm getting it, I think......when I was on 8S, I was around 2800 Watts. I think I confused myself by pulling less Watts on 6S, not AMPS. Is that accurate ?

robj

70cc twin V2

you were over amping that 12l with that prop\voltage combo. 17" and the amps would have dropped.

But when the voltage goes up, amps go down. Just like at your house, 240v will do the same at less amps than 120. Some like 8s because it's easier on the gear in this regard. My 8s setups run around 70amps. Keep in mind you can pull higher amps if you keep propping up. A lot of folks like insane power, I'm not one of them. In this plane 2500w or a little less is plenty. My old 70" slick had a smallish 2000w on 8s, it would jump out a hover. I just didn't need a 3000w slick. I can't say what my 5320 on 19x8 pulls amp wise(the 70a quote was from other simular 8s setups), but the 5320 stays cool, batterys stay cool, plenty of power, all I need. :)

To Econpatric....yes there are a lot of different combos out there. If you have a bunch of 6s batterys, I'd go 6s and never look back. If your 6s batterys are getting tired, explore 8s if you want. But scan the threads and find a proven setup that many folks are using and are happy with. Iff you can find someone in person to fly a plane or view their plane, do this. But keep in mine that someone that sport flys a 74 Edge or Slick may have a setup that is not what you want in a 3d setup.

But in this plane...IMO, you need a heavier motor to make the plane balance better. Also keep in mind if you keep getting larger in the prop size, torque roll could become an issue. There is a video out of AJ flying this plane, in some scenes it is doing some really fast TR, but if I recall he is using full ailerons to stop the TR a lot of the time

Good luck!

Rob

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think the edge flies best with around 2400-2500 watts of power. So I'd "prop" for that much power.
Regardless of 6s/8s, I'd want the same power. That's why I said one would need the 120a ESC just in case.
Just like Pontus said, work backwards from the watts, and a 6s setup (23v or so under load) 2500/23.5 = about 106 amps, but on 8s you'd have 2500/31.5 = 79a.