• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

gyro

GSN Contributor
The only reason I was going with the TBM is its all in one hook up and has a kill switch built in. I am not use to these Hv setup at all and wouldn't even know how to hook everything up.Would I still need a Hv bec to run my servos or does the bader switch take care of powering them as well? Guess I have some reading to do .I read the gas engines for dummies thread on other forum and need to read it again I guess ,extra dummy here lol.

Good questions.
I'll pm you my number and I'll help explain it all.

If Gyro did not clear it up here are some basics.

HV servos are designed to run unregulated which is the advantage of using them

In a model this big you want some RX power redundancy. For me it is either a Powersafe RX, Wolverine switch from Fromeco, or a Smart Fly product. These all have true battery sharing and a bad battery will become isolated unlike a 2 switch system. Another option is the Scorpion back up guard which I bought one for testing this season.

For ignition power I only use Tech Aero IBECs. In our group there must be at least 20 of these things without a single failure or issue that I know of. They are in NJ as well so you will get it in a day.

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

If Gyro did not clear it up here are some basics.

HV servos are designed to run unregulated which is the advantage of using them

In a model this big you want some RX power redundancy. For me it is either a Powersafe RX, Wolverine switch from Fromeco, or a Smart Fly product. These all have true battery sharing and a bad battery will become isolated unlike a 2 switch system. Another option is the Scorpion back up guard which I bought one for testing this season.

For ignition power I only use Tech Aero IBECs. In our group there must be at least 20 of these things without a single failure or issue that I know of. They are in NJ as well so you will get it in a day.

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

Wow something from N.J that's rare. Well I just ordered the VVRC twin now hope it fits,I can't wait to hear this engine. I will keep you guys updated on the build.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Wow something from N.J that's rare. Well I just ordered the VVRC twin now hope it fits,I can't wait to hear this engine. I will keep you guys updated on the build.

Awesome! It was nice talking with you today, good luck on the build.

Did you order the 1/4-32 plug version VVRC twin? I know that version will fit but not sure about the CM6 plug version.

Tech Aero IBEC's are the best for sure

Or the smart-fly optical kill. I think the key with the kill switch is with the optical kill that filters the freq from the Rx to the ignition right? That's what you want. No feedback voltage from the igintion to the rx seperating the two different electrical paths so that you don't get a faults positive to the rx causing a brown out? Am I thinking right? Buddy check?

Most anything from smart fly is a good product electrically. I just don't like having a separate battery for the ignition when it uses so little relative to my powersafe electrical system. Less weight and complexity. Just a personal preference.

I did order the 1/4 32 version. My cowl width i think was like 8.5 " so needed to as short as possible but i hope these little plugs are not going to be a pain with fowling and them not being as common. I hope the throttle and choke lincage will be an easy setup. I am prob going to go with the Badger switch and Tech Aero setup for electrics after taking to Gary. The only question i have about the Tech Aero is there a filter on it because RC Feen makes a good point about the filter side of things. Do you think its totaly needed?

Yes, the tech aero is something like triple filtered for EM issues.

The Badger is a good product for one battery and dual inputs into the RX. I like running dual batteries so that leads me to use the Wolverine. I use 2x 2s 1300s instead of one 2600.