• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

65" Vyper Discussion Thread

djmoose

70cc twin V2
View attachment 17727Well, the big brown truck arrived with the big brown box. My new, red, Vyper is here! Nice birthday present. I have begun putting it together but I would like to have some advice on the rudder setup. Are most people running the pull-pull setup with the servo mounted on the tray in the fuselage? The rear mounted servo with the push-pull rod appeals to me for simplicity. I am just wondering what most people are running in their Vypers. I have the HS-7954SH servo for the rudder. For power, I am using the suggested Hacker A50-16S with a Phoenix Edge 100 ESC and Gens Ace 6S 5000 battery.

With a 6S 5000 you will not be able to achieve correct CG with a rudder servo in the tail. (without adding noseweight) You're best to run pull-pull. My 6S 5000s are close to the rear of the battery tray with a pull-pull setup.

SnowDog

With a 6S 5000 you will not be able to achieve correct CG with a rudder servo in the tail. (without adding noseweight) You're best to run pull-pull. My 6S 5000s are close to the rear of the battery tray with a pull-pull setup.

Ditto that...6S5000 near back of battery tray with pull-pull rudder servo in rudder tray.

Installing the pull pull rudder is not really that hard...just use the manual and you'll be fine.
Make sure you only screw in the threaded sleeve into the ball link joint a small amount as you are putting it together so you'll have more adjustment available to you as the cables stretch.

Any questions, just post pictures and ask; we're here to help and I suspect many of us have installed dozens of these pull pull setups.

Ditto that...6S5000 near back of battery tray with pull-pull rudder servo in rudder tray.

Installing the pull pull rudder is not really that hard...just use the manual and you'll be fine.
Make sure you only screw in the threaded sleeve into the ball link joint a small amount as you are putting it together so you'll have more adjustment available to you as the cables stretch.

Any questions, just post pictures and ask; we're here to help and I suspect many of us have installed dozens of these pull pull setups.

Thanks for the quick responses. I understand the pull-pull system and I have done them in the past. I just didn't want to go to the trouble only to find out that I needed to move the servo to the aft position when I did my CG check. I will press on.

Rick

Ok. Pull-Pull system is in and rigged. Elevator servo installed and adjusted. Control throws and expo programmed in per the manual so basically, the rear end of the airplane is finished. Now, I am turning to the front end. I am planning on putting Castle 5.5 bullet connectors between the motor and the ESC. What's the best way to solder these on? Most of my soldering is delicate work like avionics and ham radio. I am not used to soldering #10 size wires. I presume I'll need a soldering gun or torch.

I am wondering what prop most people are running? I ordered a 18x8 based on the web site but it seems like most people run a little smaller prop on this motor / battery combination.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
Ok. Pull-Pull system is in and rigged. Elevator servo installed and adjusted. Control throws and expo programmed in per the manual so basically, the rear end of the airplane is finished. Now, I am turning to the front end. I am planning on putting Castle 5.5 bullet connectors between the motor and the ESC. What's the best way to solder these on? Most of my soldering is delicate work like avionics and ham radio. I am not used to soldering #10 size wires. I presume I'll need a soldering gun or torch.

I am wondering what prop most people are running? I ordered a 18x8 based on the web site but it seems like most people run a little smaller prop on this motor / battery combination.

I've used a weller sp40l and the 3/16" chisel tip to solder them before. That large tip retains a lot of heat and makes the soldering job quite easy.

I got the soldering done. Thanks for the tips. Got a good fit of motor, spinner and cowling. Gave it the smoke test and actually spun the motor for the first time. I sure would like to see some pictures of how others have mounted their ESCs and their receivers. I would also like to explore some alternative battery straps than the one included in the kit. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rick

SnowDog

I got the soldering done. Thanks for the tips. Got a good fit of motor, spinner and cowling. Gave it the smoke test and actually spun the motor for the first time. I sure would like to see some pictures of how others have mounted their ESCs and their receivers. I would also like to explore some alternative battery straps than the one included in the kit. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rick

Glad you got the soldering completed.

Here are some pics of my ESC and other stuff. I do not use the stock velcro straps...they are not sturdy enough. Use heavy duty velcro from Home Depot or similar. Couldn't find any good pics of the battery straps...I used two, one around the front of the battery and one around the back. Battery (6S5000 is located about 1-1/2" forward of wing tube.

20120801_230954.jpg 20120801_231014.jpg

20120801_230928.jpg 20120801_231024.jpg

I burned up the Scorpion motor and replaced it with a Motrolfly 4320:

20120913_202854.jpg 20121212_214837-001.jpg

It felt like the motor was running too hot, so I installed some air vents/baffling:
20121212_215027.jpg 20121212_215035.jpg

I did find one pic of a test battery..not strapped in,
but that is pretty close to where it sits.
20120725_220818.jpg

Of course, a few final pics are necessary: :D

20120903_093638.jpg 20120903_093713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These pics are very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Do you get the Velcro cinch straps at Home Depot or is it just raw velcro on a roll?

As a side note, I am very impressed with the quality of this kit. It is very light, built straight and everything fits together well.

Rick