• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 50CC AMR STICK THREAD

Should I Do A Build Thread On My 50cc AMR Stick

• YES, DEFINITELY

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • YES, BUT ONLY IF IT TAKES LESS THAN A YEAR. . . . LOL

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • MAY BE INTERESTING

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, TOO BORING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I started this thread on March 11 and it is now July 18. For those of you who voted for the thread only if it took less than a year, I still have 7-1/2 months before my time is up. . . . . :laughing:

Anyway, I FINALLY get to start working on my AMR Stick tonight. I've had personal setback in my life or I would have been able to start on it last week. Anyway, I'm so excited about it, I cannot concentrate on what I'm supposed to be working on here at the office. . . . :lol2: I will not be able to post any pictures tonight, but I will do it tomorrow evening.

Stay tuned everyone,
David

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
OK Fella's,

If there is anyone still following this this thread besides Doug, I FINALLY have a "constructive update. . . . . LOL I will also go back and edit my first post in the thread to tell followers on what page the building starts. I'm going to insert text with descriptions below the pictures instead of above them. I think it is easier to follow that way.

Lets start with some pictures of the fuselage. This is how I got it back from the person who was supposed to be building it for me. This represents over 3.5 years of work. . . . . :face-palm:

Stick 1.jpg

Ignition & receiver batteries, optical kill switch, throttle and choke servo location in the fuselage. Ignition battery will be a 2500 mAh Duraflight pack. Receiver battery will be a 5200 mAh Duraflight pack. Why so big? Because I will need the nose weight anyway. I have a Powerbox Optical kill switch and the throttle and choke servos are Futaba 3152's.

Stick 2.jpg

Gas tank, receiver and rudder servo compartment. Gas tank is a 32 oz Dubro and it will sit right on the CG. Receiver will be a Futaba 14 channel 2.4 Ghz receiver and the rudder servo will be a Futaba 9156 digital

Stick 3.jpg

Open fuselage going back to the tail. The cardboard tube you see is for my elevator servo leads.

Stick 4.jpg

Front of the fuselage from the side. This is where my dual Miracle Switch will go.

Stick 5.jpg

Middle of fuselage and beginning of the tail structure from the side.

Stick 6.jpg

Open fuselage to the tail from the side. You can see the elevator servo cutouts in the rear.

If anyone has any questions, comments or if there is something you want to see more clearly, just ask.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Before I continue I'd like to say a couple of things. I want to thank my Buddy Joe again, for letting me use his AWESOME shop. If it wasn't for him, I woudn't be doing this right now. . . . . .:big_yes:.

In addition to the great group of friends I have here on GSN to help me, I am lucky to have my usual Monday night meeting buddies who together add up to over 250 years of building experience to keep me from screwing up, I hope. . . . .:laughing:

OK, back to the update. tonight I decided to work on the tail surfaces. I apologize for the lack of "progress" pictures, but I got so involved in working on it, I forgot to stop and take any. So here is what I ended up with.

Stick 7.jpg

Vertical fin.

Stick 8.jpg

Rudder.

Stick 10.jpg

Horizontal stab. I had to hold the camera way up over my head to got the entire stab in the picture, well almost the whole stab. . . :laughing:. The holes are for the tail wheel mounting bolts and hardware. The tail wheel is the 50cc size from Verne at White Rose Engineering.

Stick 9.jpg

Elevators

My good friend Jeff built the vertical fin and rudder while I built the horizontal stab. The stab would have gone more quickly if the balsa in the kit wasn't like concrete. I have never in my life seen balsa that hard. . . . . :eek: On top of that, because the balsa was so hard, the laser only managed to go half way through it so I spent over an hour trying to finish cutting out the pieces without cutting my fingers off. . . . :lol2:

After Jeff and I finished those pieces, he said he was hot so he stopped and rested while I pulled out he elevator pieces and went ahead built the two elevators. The holes in the control surfaces are for hardwood dowel inserts for the control horns. By the time everything was sanded, down to at least 180 grit, it was 11:30pm. I think we had a very productive night, despite the constant ribbing from the "peanut gallery". . . . . :laughing:

There will not be as much progress next week because I am going to get a bottle of either Tightbond wood glue, or slow curing CA and go over all the joints in the fuselage. If I can sneak out to Joe's house one night this week or this weekend, I will do that and next Monday night I will do all the laminating of ribs together in preparation for starting on the wing.

That's all for tonight folks.

David

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good afternoon Fellas,

Well, it's Monday again so tonight I will be working on my AMR Stick some more. . . . :woohoo!: Just like last week, I'm having a hard time concentrating on what I'm supposed to be doing today. I have been doing allot of thinking about the fuse. So much thin CA and kicker was used, I am considering calling AMR and have them send me another fuse kit and starting over. I will study it closely this evening and make up my mind.

Stay tuned.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good evening Gent's. It is time for the next installment of how NOT to build your AMR Stick. . . . . :laughing:. The night didn't start off well for me at all.

First thing is, I've decided to not try and put all the building together. I realized this evening that it wasn't such a good idea.

I wanted to install the wing tube support doublers and you first have to sink the blind nuts that hold the wings on before you put them in the plane. While doing that I tried to drop some slow CA between the blind nut and the plywood to keep the blind nut from backing out and I accidentally got some glue in the threads of the blind nut. I know it's a good idea to put some vaseline on the threads, but I didn't have any. Well, as my luck would have it, I did get some on the threads and I didn't realize it until I tried to get the blind nut back out and it wouldn't budge. Thankfully one of the guys there told me to get a soldering gun and heat up the screw and that should loosen up the glue. Sure enough it worked, which made me happy again. The only drawback to my stupidity was that a 15 minute job ended up taking over an hour. . . . . :very_angry:

Stick 15.jpg

Stick 11.jpg

So I finally got the blind nuts on both sides in nice and flush as seen above

Stick 1.jpg

Next I went to put the intermediate plate in between the first and second former only to realize the first former was not glued in yet. . . . . . .DOHH. Then I realized why. The kit was cut incorrectly so the landing gear blocks are 1/4" too far forward so the former could not sit in front of the landing gear block doublers like it's supposed to. It's hard to tell, but you can see it in the picture above. My solution was to cut 1/4" off the bottom of the former and glue it down on top of the landing gear doubler and it worked just fine.

Last edited: