• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 92" Edge 540

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this build log Gary as it will come in handy. This will be Aaron's new plane for 3D. Tearing everything outta the old AW Extra and doing this plane with his DA60 etc... might get new servos and sell the Savox 1256s though. They weren't bad but everything is HV now. May as well go that route if we can afford it I guess. Keep up the good work on documenting this. We appreciate it!

On the small throttle arm, just use a small arm on the servo end. Proper geometry.

I have used a few of those Seacraft fuel dots. One of them had a magnet come unglued and it was always popping out. Pretty slick setup when it works though. Also the hole is a bit small and needs a certain size tubing to work correctly.

Glad to hear about the easy hinging.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, it took up the majority of my hobby time this evening, but I got the engine setup finished.

Installing the throttle servo was easy. It fit right into the motorbox cut out, and the small arm works well. I don't have a ton of resolution as predicted, but I think it'll work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380859139.227982.jpg

The time consuming part of my night was crafting up a bell crank and getting the geometry right. I'm really happy how it came out, and thanks to Noll and Joe Smith for talking me into and through it. It was my first time making and using one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380859250.260428.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380859269.043357.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380859288.643551.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380859310.010202.jpg

joshgluck

100cc
I'm thinking about doing this on all my gassers now. Was working on my 72 last night and didn't want to flip the carb and loose the choke support built into the engine until I thought of the bell crank. Helps me to use the default throttle servo location as well as easier choking at the field.

Looking good Gary! What did you use to support the rotation of the servo disk without loosing the secure mounting?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm thinking about doing this on all my gassers now. Was working on my 72 last night and didn't want to flip the carb and loose the choke support built into the engine until I thought of the bell crank. Helps me to use the default throttle servo location as well as easier choking at the field.

Looking good Gary! What did you use to support the rotation of the servo disk without loosing the secure mounting?

Thanks Josh! I grabbed one of the spare 4/40 ball links that fits between the double control horns (with the ball thats round in the center, but with protruding flat spots on either side), and cut out the brass ball to use. It was the perfect height!

SnowDog

Nicely done Gary, I like that idea and I think I'll try that on my future gasser builds.
I'm also switching engines on my 71 Slick so I'll look at adding this on that one as well.
Nice to have such knowledgeable resources to call on! Thanks Noll and Joe!

Status
Not open for further replies.