• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 92" edge 540 !!!

Av8r RC

50cc
Hey guys, has anyone had any experience with this motor at all:
Rotomotor 85FS, 85cc four stroke opposed twin cylinder gasoline engine with electronic ignition
A friend is selling and I was wondering if it would work with Edge92. Thanks.

A 4-stroke would sound awesome, but I wouldn't try it in the 92 Edge. That one weighs 6 lbs. where as a DA60 weighs 3. Would be extremely tuff to get it to balance. And it looks like its exactly as wide as the cowl on the edge. You'd probably have to hack up the sides to get it to fit.

Fast3D

50cc
A 4-stroke would sound awesome, but I wouldn't try it in the 92 Edge. That one weighs 6 lbs. where as a DA60 weighs 3. Would be extremely tuff to get it to balance. And it looks like its exactly as wide as the cowl on the edge. You'd probably have to hack up the sides to get it to fit.

Thanks Av8r RC. I didn't know it would be that heavy. 3 Ibs extra is a lot; I dont think moving the rudder servo to the back would help at all-Thanks a lot.

Av8r RC

50cc
10-4. I was thinking that was going to be your setup. I'm trying to decide between the Smart-fly ignition cutoff and run a third battery or the tech-aero and just the two Rx packs. Would just be a weight penalty of the extra 1100mAh ignition pack if I go with the Smart-Fly.

I used to run a smartfly and a 2100 LiFe in my Slick, but have switched it over to a Tech aero. That LiFe weighed 4 oz.

I would go with the tech aero, as long as your not using an AM or FM trans. I have heard that there is a higher chance for potential interference with those systems over 2.4.

In my edge I also run an AR9110 with the tech aero and two 2000 mah 7.4 lipos. I use 400 mah total (200 per bat) in an 8 min flight, or 50 mah per min. That's about 8 flights before they need charging.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
Here is a crappy video that I did today in 20+ mph winds with gusts. About 5th flight on my 92" Edge, changed the older DA-60 with a brand new one. If I had to demo and make video's to try to sale 3DHS planes, there wouldn't be very many sells. lol
Wish GoPro's had autozoom.

http://youtu.be/FYphFiQRKFY

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I just put my 5th Tech-Aero IBEC on my one of my planes and have had zero issues with them, I was using the Smart-Fly systems but I believe they will be considered old school soon. Unless you need the extra weight of the third battery I would update it.

dskuro95

100cc
I just put my 5th Tech-Aero IBEC on my one of my planes and have had zero issues with them, I was using the Smart-Fly systems but I believe they will be considered old school soon. Unless you need the extra weight of the third battery I would update it.

I have the smartfly system in my 87 shp and love it. I just finished my 89 slick, and I needed it to be a little lighter setup so I used the tech aero. I also decided I will be moving everything to a tech aero because of failures. Even though the smart fly system is great, it has more failur points then the tech aero does. Having an extra battery and switch can increade the chances of failure.

I just ordered a number of IBECs for my spring ARFing. I have never used anything else but that and see no reason to change.

Unless you need the extra weight of the third battery I would update it.

For a CARF 2.3m Edge build I'm doing I'm not sure if I'm going to need the added weight of a thrid battery so I think my best option is to get everything else built-up in the plane, DA70 mounted then check to see where my CG is. The CARF 2.3m Edge is known to come out tail heavy. I would like to build the Red scheme 92" Edge with a DA70 when it comes back in stock so a Tech-Aero IBEC and 2x Rx pack setup with the AR9110 would be the route I will go. Thanks for the feedback!

[MENTION=443]ghoffman[/MENTION] and I mocked up the DA-70 on it today. It will fit inside the cowl just barely. I might have to make a small modification to allow some room for the plug cap with a cowl blind nut. I will get photos once I finish mounting it. Going with a push pull rudder servo to help with CG as all the 70's weight is up front.