• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

I used "Quick Grip" from Walmart on my Crack Laser. Seemed to work very well. I also wanted to avoid Welders due to the yellowing issue I see on my 3DHS EPP.

I used "Quick Grip" from Walmart on my Crack Laser. Seemed to work very well. I also wanted to avoid Welders due to the yellowing issue I see on my 3DHS EPP.

Me too. Quick grip is excellent glue. I like it as much as welders. It's way faster drying as the name suggests. Skins over almost instantly. Good for quick assembly but sometimes the longer skin time if welders is nice, like when gluing the spar in.

Mike

My Foam Cure came in and I started the Crack Turbo Beaver. It has the opposite problem as it takes a long time to setup. With the way I build these things that works out. I have the 15cc on the other end of the bench when I have to wait on dry times. I have a new right wing for my Velox that needs to be setup. The hinges in my old one mostly failed late last season and my repair was just not very good. I have video of the failure from my hat cam I need to upload. It was a good flight otherwise and 2 of the 7 hinges brought her home.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I started to notice some weakening of the battery tray on my Velox after only 14 flights, and then on flight 15, the wood broke off near one of the straps. I'm definitely guilty of strapping my batts in nice and taught, however I do think there could be a little more wood on the battery tray to better support the common (and big!) 6s5000-5300 battery packs used on this plane.

First, prior to mods today:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768280.069949.jpg

You can see from the arrow the piece that broke, and also that the center wood piece isn't even the same width as the Velcro.

So, I pulled up my Velcro to get ready to improve... And then started thinking what I could do.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768358.902180.jpg

Out of the corner of my eye, sat the broken front end from my first 92" Edge... With it's nice ply fuel/battery tray:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768463.101905.jpg

So I cut off the center piece to reinforce the Velox, and laid it on top to test fit. Perfect!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768537.585195.jpg

Then, I put some painters tape over the holes I'd use for my straps, and then covered the Velox tray with epoxy, and put the new plank down, and rested a few batts on it for some weight to keep it flat and in contact:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768678.801746.jpg

Getting the straps back through was a challenge, but having a flexible pick-up claw helped greatly, as I was able to use it to grab the strap and feed it through:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768772.751961.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768814.101878.jpg

It came out perfect!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768697.035326.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390768709.202704.jpg

I feel MUCH better about my batteries staying in my plane now, and only gained MAYBE an ounce of weight.

jcrosk

30cc
Thanks for the heads up. I went with gas but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. We're in middle of a blizzard here in Iowa with 50+ mph gust so it may be a while before I get her in the air. :cursing:

Letzrock

50cc
I started to notice some weakening of the battery tray on my Velox after only 14 flights, and then on flight 15, the wood broke off near one of the straps. I'm definitely guilty of strapping my batts in nice and taught, however I do think there could be a little more wood on the battery tray to better support the common (and big!) 6s5000-5300 battery packs used on this plane.

First, prior to mods today:
View attachment 20787

You can see from the arrow the piece that broke, and also that the center wood piece isn't even the same width as the Velcro.

So, I pulled up my Velcro to get ready to improve... And then started thinking what I could do.
View attachment 20788

Out of the corner of my eye, sat the broken front end from my first 92" Edge... With it's nice ply fuel/battery tray:
View attachment 20789

So I cut off the center piece to reinforce the Velox, and laid it on top to test fit. Perfect!
View attachment 20790

Then, I put some painters tape over the holes I'd use for my straps, and then covered the Velox tray with epoxy, and put the new plank down, and rested a few batts on it for some weight to keep it flat and in contact:
View attachment 20791

Getting the straps back through was a challenge, but having a flexible pick-up claw helped greatly, as I was able to use it to grab the strap and feed it through:
View attachment 20794View attachment 20795

It came out perfect!
View attachment 20792View attachment 20793

I feel MUCH better about my batteries staying in my plane now, and only gained MAYBE an ounce of weight.

I always put my battery straps on the outside of the motor box supports for more strength.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I always put my battery straps on the outside of the motor box supports for more strength.

That's a very good technique as well, great suggestion.

I've done that on some airplanes with narrow battery trays, but on this one I wasn't happy with the lateral movement it allowed.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have one of these to assemble for my son I will try your ideal on it.

Cool!

I've also got 2 6s5000 40c packs that are longer and 1/2" more narrow than the 6s5300 30c in the picture.
When the 5000 pack is in there, even as modified above, you can still get a finger between the strap and the battery.

hey its bin a while since I have bin. things have bin crazy with work and my 5 month old son. but my 70 velox is almost complete as I am waiting for my esc to come in, should have had it a while ago but that's a long story I will sure write up when I get a chance. also I plan on putting an eagle tree 2d/3d in. any input would be nice on the eagle tree. are you guys running a idle on your E-Planes if so input on that would be great.