• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

ryan_m

100cc
I hear you on the cowling fit. This is my second Velox, I sold my first one (the older 68" one) and it had absolutely no problems in these areas at all. Something changed on the 70" version, and the cowls don't fit anymore. I don't have a whole lot of idea what it takes to get a factory to make changes to a model, but it would seem to me that it can't be that big of a deal to make the mold a couple millimeters larger in diameter so that the cowl would fit the fuselage better and then the canopy would fit nicer too. I can say though that once I got mine cut and mounted I never gave it a second thought. The plane flies awesome (if you like aggressive 3d planes) and is one of my most favorite planes that I have ever flown. I wish they would make a Velox in an 86-88" size that would be about 17lb with a 50-60cc motor in it. Would be an incredibly fun plane to throw around. Something in the smaller size of 50cc, like the RedwingRC Slick. I know the trend in 50cc class planes is to go bigger, like 91-92" right now, but the Velox is so fun to fly aggressive that I think a 50cc Velox ought to be in the smaller side like an 86" wingspan and retain that violent aggressive flying that the 70" one has if it ever was made in a bigger size.

As far as canopy attachment using a 4/40 or 6/32 look a slick 89 inch canopy attachment or any plane that uses bolts at the rear on each side you will have to make some wood pieces and make some lite ply pieces of wood and glue them in . It would really be easier just to look a plane as I said before instead of trying to explain the process. Its not that hard if you find some close up photos of the install with a plane that uses that method . Hope this helps I forgot mention on the inside tabs that you would make use 4/40 blind nuts or 6/32 blind nuts to have a secure way of screwing the bolts into the tabs of wood to hold the canopy on.

ryan_m

100cc
Here's a couple pictures I found on the rcgroups thread of what someone else did. Maybe they will help.
velox1.jpgvelox2.jpg

I was looking at my wing panels today and noticed that the blind nuts installed in he wings to secure the wing bolts were not all the way seated into the wing rib=root have any of you guys noticed that also . The sharp prongs were not all the way secured and tightened up. Is that normal for these birds or do I need to try and get them flush with the wing rib ? I don't want them coming loose during flight. I couldn't tell if they had any glue on them or not.

ryan_m

100cc
There isn't that much pressure on those wing bolts, I wouldn't worry about it. I imagine over time they will work themselves down. Just check them each of the first few flights and tighten the bolt if it's loose at all from the blind nut seating more.

I will most likely try and tighten them down using very slight pressure with a regular steel bolt and large washer. I wouldn't want to damage that area but again I have had blind nuts like that not in a wing area but for example behind the motor box firewall work loose. I will at least make sure they very secure into the wood and try to put some glue around that area being carefull not to let the glue run down into the thread area of course but I am not taking any chances. Thanks for the reply and would encourage any one with a opinion chime in here. Bruce