• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30cc and 60cc airframes

No split cowl on the Pilot. Split cowls are not as common on 30% as on bigger sizes. The easiest cowling I have is the one on the EF 104 Extra as it has all of three bolts. My 88 EF Edge is not too bad with 4 tabs, but it is not as robust as other designs. The 89 Slick is plain painful as they bolt in from the rear inside the fuse.

The worst ever has to be the H9 35% Extra. 2 of them had to be screwed in from the side down very long tubes that you could never get the bolt to line up in.

I would not base a buying decision on the cowling arrangement as once you are setup, you don't take it of much, especially if you make a hole to get access to the needles. The Smith's told me how they do all sort of holes in their setups to get around taking the cowling's off.

The removable rudder is a nice feature however. I know my buddies Pilot has a removable rudder as well, but he might have modified it. I will have to ask.

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
I think split cowls are more trouble than they are worth. I have that on the 104 AJS, and I loathe taking it off because it has so many screws.

10-4...Thanks for the feedback on the split cowls. I guess my only need in a 30% size plane is that the rudder is removable for transportation.

gyro

GSN Contributor
10-4...Thanks for the feedback on the split cowls. I guess my only need in a 30% size plane is that the rudder is removable for transportation.

Good call. Split cowl is nice, but not necessary, and definitely more difficult for removal and reinstallation.

bruceman

50cc
Good call. Split cowl is nice, but not necessary, and definitely more difficult for removal and reinstallation.

O.K.....got it, no cowl split. Just thought it might be easier to add some baffling . I'm running the DA60 with a header / can and want to make sure I'm getting good airflow through the cylinder fins and through the canister tunnel. Maybe some pics anyone might have of a similar set up might spark some ideas.

Thanks for the input.

Bruceman

gyro

GSN Contributor
O.K.....got it, no cowl split. Just thought it might be easier to add some baffling . I'm running the DA60 with a header / can and want to make sure I'm getting good airflow through the cylinder fins and through the canister tunnel. Maybe some pics anyone might have of a similar set up might spark some ideas.

Thanks for the input.

Bruceman

The piped DA60s I've seen don't have baffling as the engine usually is exposed to the air through the bottom of the cowl. Matter of fact, you could close the top of the cowl (cover the inlets abeam the prop) so that ALL incoming air passes over the engine, past the pipe, and out the vents on the bottom.

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
I'm running the DA60 with a header / can and want to make sure I'm getting good airflow through the cylinder fins and through the canister tunnel. Maybe some pics anyone might have of a similar set up might spark some ideas.

Thanks for the input.

Bruceman
Here is how I did it, and in ~200 flights no overheating. Photo by dth7:

I'd take a DLE 61 over a DA 60 any day. Especially if you get it from valley view.

I'm considering that. Another option is a DA70. Looking at the EF 88" Edge. Really like the plane but the only down fall for me is that it doesn't have a removable rudder. The removable rudder on the 3DHS 92" Edge and the Pilot 30% Edge are a big plus for me. I need the rudder to be removable for transportation reasons.