• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30cc and 60cc airframes

I'm bulding a 2.3m CARF Edge 540 but have a 74" Edge with a DLE30 to fly and get comfortable with flying a gasser and to use as a warm-up plane before I fly my pride and joy CARF. One thing I'm debating is, should sell the 30cc plane and get another 60cc size plane as my daily flyier/warm-up plane or just keep the 30cc plane? I know the 60cc size planes are easier to fly but initially they are intimidating before you get comfortable flying them. Would it be better to have one 30cc size plane and one 60cc size plane or two 60cc size planes? Just looking for some feedback perspective. Thanks!

dskuro95

100cc
I would have to say keep the 30cc. I personally love 30cc planes and use them as warm-up planes, practice planes for competition, or just to throw down with. It is my favorite size and would only fly them if I had only one size I was allowed to fly.
I also love my 50-60cc planes as well. Lots of fun to fly down low with.

I'm bulding a 2.3m CARF Edge 540 but have a 74" Edge with a DLE30 to fly and get comfortable with flying a gasser and to use as a warm-up plane before I fly my pride and joy CARF. One thing I'm debating is, should sell the 30cc plane and get another 60cc size plane as my daily flyier/warm-up plane or just keep the 30cc plane? I know the 60cc size planes are easier to fly but initially they are intimidating before you get comfortable flying them. Would it be better to have one 30cc size plane and one 60cc size plane or two 60cc size planes? Just looking for some feedback perspective. Thanks!

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Sounds like a personally choice really. Today's 30cc planes are so much better than they were 5 years ago. I personally like 60cc and above. But I'd say whatever makes you the most comfortable is the best choice!

For me it is all about transport. I can fit 3 30cc planes into my truck for a full day at the field. All my current 60cc planes require the trailer. For next season I am setting up a 92" Edge, which has a removable rudder and 87" Redwing Slick which should both fit into the truck.

Bigger planes do fly better, but the 30cc is easier to do 3D violence with. Also the parts and airframes are cheaper.

60cc components have gotten inexpensive as you can get both the engines and servos for close to the same money.

Since noise is a big issues for us, 30cc wins in that category as they are a lot easier to get to pass the AMA guidelines.

I would have to say keep the 30cc. I personally love 30cc planes and use them as warm-up planes, practice planes for competition, or just to throw down with. It is my favorite size and would only fly them if I had only one size I was allowed to fly.
I also love my 50-60cc planes as well. Lots of fun to fly down low with.

Good point! Problem is there are sooo many different planes I would like to own. My gut is telling me I should just focus on burning some fuel through my 74" Edge and get as much stick time while I'm building my 2.3m CARF. At least for this season. What's throwing me off is a local guy has a 1 month old EF 88" Edge with a DA-60, stock mufflers, Tru-Turn Anodize spinner, Falcon prop, 32oz fuel tank, Fromeco Wolverine switch and J&J tailwheel. He's asking $1200 for it without servo's or $2200 with all JR DS8911HV servo's. That seem like a resonable/good price?

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I'd sell you an EF 91" Extra, DA60, Jtec pitts, blazing star mount, all servos for $1,800. Come on up. Built last spring less than 50 flights on everything. More like less than 40 but I'm sure less than 50!

In March I'll be heading to about half way for an ATV trip. Might be able to meet if you were interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Good point! Problem is there are sooo many different planes I would like to own. My gut is telling me I should just focus on burning some fuel through my 74" Edge and get as much stick time while I'm building my 2.3m CARF. At least for this season. What's throwing me off is a local guy has a 1 month old EF 88" Edge with a DA-60, stock mufflers, Tru-Turn Anodize spinner, Falcon prop, 32oz fuel tank, Fromeco Wolverine switch and J&J tailwheel. He's asking $1200 for it without servo's or $2200 with all JR DS8911HV servo's. That seem like a resonable/good price?

$1000 extra for servos seems high to me

3dbandit

100cc
$1000 extra for servos seems high to me

Yeah, all 5 8911's in that plane only come up to $625, $750 if there is one on the throttle.

I imagine that price includes RX, Extensions, Hardware, Batteries... Even so, it is still a high price for used Equipment.

dskuro95

100cc
$2200 is way to much for a used 60cc at least for me. I have found deal for 100cc+ for $2200. Like I bought a used 103" Extra 330SC for $1800, 102" QQ Yak 54 with everything else the guy owned RC for $2200. Which is 3 swanzyhouse mojo 60, a primo 40, hitec x4 charger, fuel, smoke, etc. .We sold what we didnt want and got $1200 back. We also bought a 118" Carf Extra 260 RTF from a guy in CT who flew it only for IMAC and paid $3200. Everything top of the line. It even had White Rose Wheels and tires, with disc brakes. If you just wait for the right one, you can find a great deal.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I'd guess everything brand new and top of the line for a 60cc you'd have 2500-3000 into. Again absolutely everything was new.