• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30cc and 60cc airframes

Bruceman

Couple of questions. 1. What header (drop) and canister do you have setup for the DA60? 2. Is that carbon fiber vinyl you have on the motor box? 3. Is that the blazing Star mount you're using with the DA60? 4. What size fuel tanks are you using? I see two. You runnig smoke?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Engine for the 30% Pilot Edge 540? Is the DA60 worth the $360 more than what a DLE55RA would cost? Never owned either one before. Thanks!

3dcarter

50cc
Engine for the 30% Pilot Edge 540? Is the DA60 worth the $360 more than what a DLE55RA would cost? Never owned either one before. Thanks!

I can't justify spending the money on something like that... It might just be the 17 year kid with no job speaking but... Ask [MENTION=335]SupaTim[/MENTION] about the DLE 61. Apparently has oodles of power along with the economical price. I'd look into it!

My DA-60 had to go back to DA and had seal issues from the start. DA fixed it for nothing. You pay for quality and outstanding service.

Luckily if you buy a DLE from VVRC, they take good care of you.

Performance wise, from our testing this past season the EME-60 is just about equal to the DA and I would suspect the same to be true of the DLE.

The numbers Gary posted on the GP-61 are very impressive.

I have been testing a PTE-72 twin which is a bit more, but has a lot of down low grunt.

All of these come with some sort of muffler, where the DA does not.

Looking back on my gassers I have owned, the only ones that have been trouble free that I have a decent amount of run time on are my DLE-55, OS GT33, and my VVRC 40 twin.

I do have a OS GT60, which I had very high hopes for. It developed or had a defect in the cylinder which has required it to be rebuilt and I am basically starting over with that motor so I have no data I trust. It is expensive, but for those of us with noise issues, it is a very good candidate as it comes with a effective muffler that was designed for it and is lighter than a canister setup. Once you take that cost into consideration it is reasonable.

bruceman

50cc
Bruceman

Couple of questions. 1. What header (drop) and canister do you have setup for the DA60? 2. Is that carbon fiber vinyl you have on the motor box? 3. Is that the blazing Star mount you're using with the DA60? 4. What size fuel tanks are you using? I see two. You runnig smoke?

Thanks!

The header has a 1.00" drop, that pretty much is perfect for centering in the tunnel. The canister is a rear exit medium proflow. The carbon fiber is real. single layer carbon fiber laminated to the wood. Not only looks great but is very easy to clean residue off. Also adds a good amount of additional strength with almost no weight gain. I'm running 2 16oz. fortitude tanks, one for gas, the other is smoke. I have not gotten to installing the smoke system yet.

bruceman

50cc
That's another concern of mine. I'm affraid that if I spend the money on a 40cc twin for the 74" Edge and get it back in the air I will regret it and wish I just went straight to the 60cc.

What engine mount are you using for the DA60? Does that give you the proper spinner clearance? Love that plane and scheme.

The engine mount is a 1.25" blazing star mount. The spinner gap is determined by the builder. the front of the motor box on the Pilot edge is not mounted when you get the plane. This gives the builder a lot of engine / clearance options. You just have to make sure when you mount the front of the box that you have your thrust angles set up properly in both directions. This takes a little time to get perfect, but not that difficult. I used a Hanger 9 incidence meter. I also plan to split the cowl and add baffles for proper airflow through the cylinder cooling fins.

SnowDog

I can't justify spending the money on something like that... It might just be the 17 year kid with no job speaking but... Ask @SupaTim about the DLE 61. Apparently has oodles of power along with the economical price. I'd look into it!

If I had the choice, I would go with the GP-61 I have heard some seriously great things about that engine. Personally, even though I have a moderate amount of cash in my hobby fund, I can't justify the cost of the DA. That is my own personal choice.
I'm sure the DLE-61 would be nice as well.

The engine mount is a 1.25" blazing star mount. The spinner gap is determined by the builder. the front of the motor box on the Pilot edge is not mounted when you get the plane. This gives the builder a lot of engine / clearance options. You just have to make sure when you mount the front of the box that you have your thrust angles set up properly in both directions. This takes a little time to get perfect, but not that difficult. I used a Hanger 9 incidence meter. I also plan to split the cowl and add baffles for proper airflow through the cylinder cooling fins.

The 30% Pilot Edge doesn't have a split cowl? If not that's kind of a bummer! I might have to reconsider the 3DHS 92" Edge since it does have the split cowl and removable rudder and stab. Is the split cowl that big of a deal and if you were to do it yourself who difficult would it be? One other question. How think of carbon fiber sheets did you use on the motor box? Thanks for all the info!