• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper 120cc ARF is HERE!!!!!

Rusty 73

100cc
I should have stated I think the spider cracking is mostly the paint not the resin.

What I have experienced is with epoxy resin there is more flex when you apply any pressure to , the cracking is the fibreglass when pushed to hard and yes heat from the engine makes it more brittle . Epoxy fibre glass is superior to ployester resin fibreglass . The Cowl on my 3dhs cracked at the edge where the bolts to the aircraft again polyester resin , you can tell when your cutting the opens for the exhaust it has a certain smell . I trust that PAU has better quality than other arf builder I would just like to see an epoxy cowl and wheels pants .

Last edited:

Rusty 73

100cc
Todays paint is very flexible it doesn't spider crack , manufacturers can add flex agent to paint on bumpers on cars so it doesn't crack . You see where I'm going !

I have an old Toni Prather formula 1 pylon racer from 1987 and the Fuselage is still very flexible and the paint hasn't cracked . Thats PPG automotive paint and prime cover the the aircraft and its sitting on my garage wall , it has stood the test of test with out any spider cracking that's prong to polyester resin fiberglass .o_O

Last edited:

Spats

100cc
Todays paint is very flexible it doesn't spider crack , manufacturers can add flex agent to paint on bumpers on cars so it doesn't crack . You see where I'm going !

I have an old Toni Prather formula 1 pylon racer from 1987 and the Fuselage is still very flexible and the paint hasn't cracked . Thats PPG automotive paint and prime cover the the aircraft and its sitting on my garage wall , it has stood the test of test with out any spider cracking that's prong to polyester resin fiberglass .o_O

My guess is the Chinese do not use a flex agent. I used to dye leather seats in cars and we used lots of flex doing that. When I have seen the paint crack is this, example: working on the plane and push on the cowl to hard and it is flexed in. A week or so later it starts to spider crack in the exact area where it was pushed in. :lol2: ask me how I know:msn_slap: I wanted to hit myself for it.

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
I would like to add that I tried, for one flight, the included SFGs (side force generators). While I have had a couple of aircraft that I really like their effect on (35% 3DHS Edge540), I personally found no benefit on the Viper. I sealed the holes back up on the wing tips. The airplane looks so much better without then, IMHO, anyway. Such a sleek bird. :) I'm really tempted to get a Yellow one too...as a spare, of course. :D

Rusty 73

100cc
Absolutely great pictures of your Viper , i like the green apple and white scheme and the Flight characteristic a good :way_to_go:enjoy it.
Which engine are you using for power ?

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
Absolutely great pictures of your Viper , i like the green apple and white scheme and the Flight characteristic a good :way_to_go:enjoy it.
Which engine are you using for power ?
DA120. Go big or go home. A buddy shot the pictures yesterday with a Canon outfitted with a 200mm lens. That tail shot was only about 10 or 15 feet in front of us so he kept backing up to get it all in the frame as the wind was gusting a bit so that rather unusual angle was made availabe. :D
:yesss:

Rusty 73

100cc
Good choice I'm going to use the same engine in the Extra Herve is sending me . Your friend is very talented with that Canon camera . You should get one of those photos and frame they are great pictures , love it.:D
Many happy landing :yesss:

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
Good choice I'm going to use the same engine in the Extra Herve is sending me . Your friend is very talented with that Canon camera . You should get one of those photos and frame they are great pictures , love it.:D
Many happy landing :yesss:
Yep. On my "to do list". I've got several on the shop walls of various airplanes I have or had. Usually in a nice big 20x30 canvas print. :)