• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Rolling Harrier

wedoitall

Help

im having problems with direction with the rollers. i cant keep a straight line very long, it wants to circle on me. i was wondering if somebody could help me with the chart above, cause i really dont understand it. i think part of the problem is that im early on my timing

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
A circle is what you should be attempting to begin with. Rolling in a straight line is more difficult and should be conquered after you can successfully complete circles. Did you watch the video by chance?

*edit* I see that you did ;) If you have realflight 6.5 I'd love to jump online with you for some extra help.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

A circle is what you should be attempting to begin with. Rolling in a straight line is more difficult and should be conquered after you can successfully complete circles. Did you watch the video by chance?

*edit* I see that you did ;) If you have realflight 6.5 I'd love to jump online with you for some extra help.

i dont have it(have Phoenix :( ) but hopefully soon will. im actually shopping for a new computer atm, will hopefully have something order by the morning. was planning on getting RF after that.

but as soon as i get it, i would LOVE some help!!

Feral

Awsome description guys and the chart tops it off nice. Now to get my hillbilly brain working properly to aim for the control target

wedoitall

ha! at least your hillbilly brain can understand the chart, my dumb hillbilly pea brain really doesnt have a clue, when it comes to the chart

Feral

Basically the control target is where you want to be putting the stick input in to make the plane move in that direction. Try and fly a square where each corner you change direction and orientation. Eg. Upright to ke to inverted to ke back to upright hold the orientation down each straight then turn 90 degrees and change orientation. If that makes sense

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Understanding the chart is great, but is not a prerequisite to learning rollers. It is just one way of illustrating the timing. The chart helps the super analytical types that want to study a lot. At the end of the day rollers are something you really learn by doing them and the amount of practice time required is significant. Have you tried slowing down the physics on your sim?

Feral

Damn straight nater practice x1,000,000 I'm upto about 100 on the practice scale heaps to go

wedoitall

Understanding the chart is great, but is not a prerequisite to learning rollers. It is just one way of illustrating the timing. The chart helps the super analytical types that want to study a lot. At the end of the day rollers are something you really learn by doing them and the amount of practice time required is significant. Have you tried slowing down the physics on your sim?

ive slowed down the physics also, have worked my way up. on my TH foamy i just started getting the throttle pump down, but i cant keep a straight line. most of the time i can do rolling harrier circles for an entire length of a battery, unless i cut the circle to sharp about 270 degrees into the circle, which happens sometimes, then i have to reset.

SnowDog

yeah, every time I practice on the sim I feel another "click" in the "Grok chain"...only about 100 more clicks to go, I suppose ;)