• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

njswede

150cc
I built the Stevens aero groove g-480! Gave it to a buddy to cover and he flew it for a while! Flew really nice, but it was 2004 so I can't recall what it was like compared to the newest models!

I have the impression that these 3D-capable kits are pretty old designs and don't come close to today's ARFs. I'm not really basing that opinion on a lot of facts, so I'd love to be proven wrong! But that was the reason that IF I end up building something, I'd go for more of a sport model than 3D. I'd hate to spend a lot of time and money on a plane, when something costing half as much and that I can put together in two evenings flies much better.

But then again, this is more a preconceived notion than a fact-based opinion.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
The other problem with building a kit as opposed to buying an ARF, is building a kit "straight"!!
I thinks it's almost impossible to build a Steven's Aero kit without it coming out perfectly straight. The parts interlock and are designed so well that you can literally build them without glue, then just got back and hit everything with thin CA once you are sure that everything is perfect. There is very little sanding and they go together so fast that covering them takes the most time.
I have the impression that these 3D-capable kits are pretty old designs and don't come close to today's ARFs.
I would say that this is true of the few 3D kits that I know of. The SA Edge was actually designed (at least in part) by Scott Stoops of 3DHS designer fame. All of his 3DHS Edge designs came after that, so of course they were improved. The SA Edge airframe is still ridiculously light even by modern standards (not many 3D planes this size fly on a 3s 2100!), and it flys really well. The newer designs do fly better though.

My SA Edge just had the components removed after several years, and were put into a 3DHS Yak 55...

P6090021.jpg P6090023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

I thinks it's almost impossible to build a Steven's Aero kit without it coming out perfectly straight. The parts interlock and are designed so well that you can literally build them without glue, then just got back and hit everything with thin CA once you are sure that everything is perfect. There is very little sanding and they go together so fast that covering them takes the most time.

I would say that this is true of the few 3D kits that I know of. The SA Edge was actually designed (at least in part) by Scott Stoops of 3DHS designer fame. All of his 3DHS Edge designs came after that, so of course they were improved. The SA Edge airframe is still ridiculously light even by modern standards (not many 3D planes this size fly on a 3s 2100!), and it flys really well. The newer designs do fly better though.

My SA Edge just had the components removed after several years, and were put into a 3DHS Yak 55...

View attachment 1389 View attachment 1390

Yep, I built one of those as well (G.P. I remember interacting with you on that SA Edge Thread) ;)
(BTW that was a fabulous covering job on that plane)

Great kits, but yeah, pricier than an ARF, final price higher due to covering, etc., and in this case, the tail surfaces needed some "beefing up" to handle aggressive 3D, which ARF's from the top 3D companies already have.
I used to love building kits, but it is hard to justify the expense these days.

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Luckily, the amount of balsa, CA, plans and covering needed may only be $60 to $80. Scratchbuilding is much cheaper than buying kits :)

ryan_m

100cc
Luckily, the amount of balsa, CA, plans and covering needed may only be $60 to $80. Scratchbuilding is much cheaper than buying kits :)
not really... covering at $18/roll for Ultrakote, then you'll want 2-3 rolls to do some kind of trim scheme on it. And don't forget the other hardware, it adds up fast. Wheels, axles, pushrods, collars, ball links, etc. There is usually an easy 25-50 bucks there depending on what you equip with. I've built quite a few scratch built and short kit type planes, and although it seems cheap to start, by the end of it you spend a lot! Now if you crash a few and get to keep re-using the gear from one on another, then it gets cheaper for sure.

Lovely blue sky here - and windy as hell :(

I have been off work for nearly a month now and had about 3 days flying during the week (weekends have been better).....I guess when I return to work every day will be flyable :rolleyes:

OH well guess rap up warm and do a spot of fishing....:)

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
You think you have windy?.. check the attached photo, this was taken today in aberdeen at the seafront. The white stuff covering the ground, cars and houses is foam from the waves crashing ashore. These houses are 60m away from the actual water line.

So for those who think they can fly in high winds.. i challenge you! You might find fishing a bit tricky too:rolleyes:
foamie.JPG